Wednesday, November 17

Vegetarian meal for a meat lover - chickpea burgers


My hubby is a country boy.  Country boys like their meat but when we first started living together I was pescatarian, which meant essentially I was vegetarian but would eat fish.  Hubby had to learn to tolerate like vegetarian food.   Some years later when we were married and fell pregnant I started to crave meat, and haven't looked back much to his delight, but I still do like to have at least one vegetarian meal in the week to mix with one fish, one chicken etc..

I served these up last night and hubby didn't flinch, in fact we agreed that this was a great burger for a meat eater.  I liked them a lot, as did hubby.  These patties would be a great addition to your summer barbeque for the vegetarians.


Ingredients:
1 small onion, grated or finely chopped
1 small carrot, grated or finely chopped
3 stalks continental parsley
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 eggs
400g tin chickpeas, drained and pureed
3/4 cup plain flour


Method:
Combine all ingredients - I actually placed 3 pieces of bread in the food processor and whizzed into breadcrumbs and transferred to a mixing bowl, then processed the onion, carrot and parsley and did the same.  Lastly I processed the chickpeas and added all the other ingredients and mixed together with a spoon.


Shape into patties and heat a frypan with a spray of canola oil.

Cook on frypan over medium heat for about 5 minutes each side.

You can make ahead and reheat to place on burgers or make and eat - we added barbeque sauce, cheese, tomatoes and lettuce!
Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

SadieandLance on November 17, 2010 at 10:14 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! I LOVE vegie burgers - especially ones made with chickpeas. Thanks for the recipe, I haven't made chickpea burgers for ages, I tend to make felafel instead.

I try and have 2 veggo meals a week in our house - I was vegetarian too for about a decade.

DaniV on November 17, 2010 at 10:50 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for this recipe, I will cook it next week. We are pescatarian's in our home, plus we cook with no salt and low fat ingredients so this fits in with all of our requirements! Thank you!

CamillaS on November 17, 2010 at 2:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks, I've been looking for a good one to make as I'm trying to get hubby to eat the odd vego meal too.

Katy on November 17, 2010 at 6:25 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'll have to try this too! And a cheapie too, with most ingredients readily available in the pantry and fridge.

ourtinydancer on June 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Can't wait to try these out!

cyclist-cook on February 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Although the texture and mouth-feel were good, I found these rather bland. The patties need an umami boost: dried mushrooms, soy sauce, parmesan cheese, etc. Or take a cue from falafel and add a lot more parsley, plus garlic and lemon.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015