Tuesday, November 30

Make it this week - Tzatziki



Tzatziki - how I love thee - out of all the dips this is the first one I go for, then the hoummus.  I love this stuff.  I was first introduced to homemade tzatziki by a kiwi friend who had a greek husband and she had to learn to make 'proper tzatziki' according to her mother-in-law.  And proper it was - the day she bought it around I begged her to leave the leftovers for me and I bugged her for weeks for the recipe.

Ingredients
2 telegraph cucumbers, peeled and de-seeded
250g greek yoghurt
2 cloves garlic
20 leaves of mint, finely chopped
1 stalk of dill, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon

Method:
Peel and de-seed your cucumber

Place in a food processor and process well.

Drain over a bowl for at least 4 hours - squish down without losing any pulp to ensure you've extracted all the liquid - honestly the more liquid you extract, the better your tzatziki will taste.   I used cheese cloth also at the end - folded mixture into it and wrung out excess liquid!



In a processor mix the garlic, dill and mint.

Mix the pulp with the garlic dill and mint and fold into your yoghurt.  Add lemon juice and stir through well.


Eat with mixed vegetables or crackers (I like rice crackers!) or with souvlaki or koftas or even felafel!


Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Cate on November 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Try the version that George made during the last MC - he "hung" his yoghurt - plus it had honey in it - if you thought you were in love before......

You can check it out on my blog page - I have made it a couple of times - and was actually thinking about making it for the upcoming festive season - goes great with prawns!!!

Linda Woodrow on December 1, 2010 at 9:19 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This time of year, with cucumbers so much in season, fresh new garlic, still some late lemons, and specially this wet year with mint going beserk, we're eating tzatziki as a side dish with just about every meal. It seems to go so well with just about everything, and with home-made yoghurt and cucumbers, mint, garlic and lemons all coming out of the garden, it's just about free. And super healthy. And I haven't got sick of it yet!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015