Wednesday, November 3

Pinwheel sandwiches - for a change or that fussy eater of yours


Pinwheel sandwiches are something my Mum used to make for birthday parties when I was little  - for a kid who didn't really like her crust, it was my favourite way to eat a sandwich.   Mum used to make them with my favourites - vegemite or achovette (I know, odd child) but also with jam or tuna/mayonaise - whatever took her fancy.

On Sunday I passed the bakery and decided it was time my girls were initiated into pinwheel sandwiches - so I asked the baker to slice the bread across-ways rather than downwards so I got long slices.  No problem.  My hubby thought the baker had made a mistake when I returned with the bread: 'No I asked for it this way'.

So basically you spread your butter, toppings on long pieces - you can cut the crusts off before or after... and your roll them up and slice.  Basic right?  So next time you feel like putting something different in the lunchbox or for a gathering give it a try!




If you'd like an adult twist to these - go visit my friend Not Quite Nigella who by total coincidence posted about 'spiral sandwiches' yesterday.  Great minds think alike huh? (A bit freaky actually!)

So do you or your kids eat the crust?
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Mishelle on November 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What a cool idea! I have to try it tomorrow. My 2 don't eat crusts though the 10 yr old will from time to time if it's homemade... but not always. My 7 yr old thinks that some cookies have crusts and that is a fuss in a half to get him around to the truth... cookies with crusts. *sigh*.

M

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

They look great!
I have heard of pinwheels, but never knew what they were. So simple and the kid's should love them.

Thanks for sharing :)

Virginia on November 3, 2010 at 6:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These are great for a change. Mine like a similar thing, though with a whole slice (crusts cut off) flattened a little and then rolled ie a spring roll. Avocado/cheese, hommus/gr carrot, pesto/cheese.

Oh, and don't ask me why or how, but all four of mine eat crusts - every time. I've never given them an option but that gives no guarantee, I know! x


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015