Thursday, November 25

Frugal and fabulous: Salmon risotto with asparagus


Remember how I told you that I hadn't cooked with asparagus so much ?  Well I'm rectifying it - and in a big way - if I see it I buy it.  I eat it on it's own or in frittata.  Now I'm putting it with my risottos.  I can't get enough of the stuff!

Now I usually like to make a cheaty oven baked risotto, but I did this the regular way because I hadn't made it before and wasn't sure if I was going to add the asparagus at the middle or end... in the end I think it was a good choice to wait to the end and do a stove-top version.  It's pretty easy anyways.

Even better is that it uses tinned red salmon - you could use pink but I don't think the taste would be as good.  It's still a helluva lot cheaper than buying fresh salmon!


Ingredients:
2 tb olive oil\
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 large or 1 medium onion, diced
1 litre vegetable stock
415g tin red salmon, drained
1 cup tasty cheese
Pepper
6 stalks asparagus


Method:
Heat oil in bottom of a deep frypan, or pot.  Add onion and heat until transparent.  Add rice and slosh around for about a minute, until it's covered in the oil and onion.  Add 1 1/2 cups stock, simmer for a few minutes

After a few minutes, add your drained salmon, and add another 1 1/2 cups stock.

Simmer for another 5 minutes, add pepper.

Add your cheese and rest of your stock and stir through.  Turn your hob down to its lowest setting and allow to simmer for about another 15-18 minutes until it becomes thick and saucy.


Whilst it simmers away, sprinkle oil over your raw asparagus - add to a hot frypan or grill pan and cook, turning every minute for 5 minutes until cooked, take off the heat and chop roughly.

To serve, plate up and sprinkle with your asparagus!  It's lovely!  Give it a try! xx

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Cate on November 25, 2010 at 6:55 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love asparagus wrapped in pancetta or proscuitto drizzled with a little olive oil, sprinkled with parmesan cheese and baked in the oven for 10 minutes!!

I am always sad when asparagus disappears for the season!

Alison on November 25, 2010 at 7:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! I know I can always rely on finding something delish (and easy peasy) for dinner when I pop over to visit your blog - thank you for that : )

Christie on November 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, I LOVE asparagus in risotto! I always get very sad when it's not in season as it truly makes the dish!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015