Thursday, February 4

Influences on girls and self esteem


Gotta love a good dress up session right?

Introducing Jasmine (left) as the ballerina, Olivia (centre) as the princess and Laura (right) as the bride!  I was not pictured, however I was the Easter bunny, yes, I made dinner and hung out the washing complete with bunny ears.  Laura and Olivia had their first solo playdate yesterday - they loved it.

Ballerinas, princesses and brides - the epitome of girly pretend play. Despite reading Mia's post last week and feeling quite in agreement in regards to princesses and girls' self esteem  when I see my girls having so much fun with this it's a little conflicting.

Of course they know that the likelihood of them meeting a prince, let alone marrying one is slim to none.

I'm pleased to say however, as much as Barbie isn't a great rolemodel physically, and the over-use of multiples (!) some of her movies actually have some themes I felt quite impressed with.

- In Barbie and the three musketeers - although there is an established 'connection' between Corinne and the Prince, she as  girl, defies the odds and proves herself capable of doing what's considered a 'mans' job' and when approached to do the happily every after - she is interrupted by work.  More real I think!

- In Barbie and the Princess and the Pauper - Erika (the pauper) is asked for her hand in marriage - she declines as she needs to persue her career 'for herself'.  She does come back after a time and marry the prince.

Any other girls' movies that are good this way?  Would be good to list the movies with positive/semi-realistic outcomes?
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

reality raver on February 4, 2010 at 2:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Personally I think we blame media and tv for too many thing with our kids.

I think parents and friends are the biggest influencers.

However I am careful about what she watches on TV or movies. However her current fave is Mamma Mia as she mucks up the words.

She currently sings "Mamma Mia how he drills me..."

I yell out it is thrill, thrill.

BabyMac on February 4, 2010 at 2:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wrote about this just last week: http://littlereginald.blogspot.com/2010/01/there-is-no-place-like-home.html Wizard of Oz is FABULOUS.

Super Sarah on February 4, 2010 at 10:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Well said! I wholeheartedly agree! I used to be SO anti the barbie movies, until I actually watched one. I agree, the messages are mostly ok. Whenever Amy talks about being a princess when she grows up I ask her why not an astronaut or an x-ray technician which always leads to an interesting discussion on what that job is about. Just yesterday Amy decided she wanted to be a ballet-dancing-ant-catcher!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015