Wednesday, November 10

Pasta all'tonno (Italian tuna pasta bake)


Well yesterday Eloise and I made dinner.  Hubby took the little frills out to do the massively exciting task of renewing his driving licence so we took advantage of lack of interruptions and set to work.   I used to make this on a fairly regular povo-student days so gradually as she learns to make it again and again, at least I know she'll know how to cook something decent when she moves out of home (I clutched my chest as I wrote that).

(serves 8)
Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 stalk oregano, stalks removed and chopped finely (or 1/2 tsp dried)
5 large basil leaves, chopped finely (or 1/2 tsp dried)
400g tin tuna in springwater, drained and flaked with a fork
800g tin diced tomatoes
2 tb tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine (optional)
1 cup mixed frozen peas/corn (add vegetables of your choice)
4 cups cooked pasta, drained
150g grated mozzarella or tasty (I used combo)


Method:
Use an oven-proof dish that can go on your stove (or have a large saucepan + oven-proof dish if you don't) in the saucepan/dish heat your olive oil on a medium high heat.   Add onions, garlic and herbs and stir until onions become transparent.


Add your tuna, continue to stir until tuna becomes hot and then add the tomatoes, tomato paste and red wine. Lastly add peas and corn and allow this to reduce over a simmering heat until it becomes thick and rich.
Add pasta and then sprinkle over the cheese and place in the oven under the grill for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts into a warm brown colour.



Serve with salad.. (leftovers are yummy cold too!)
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes on November 10, 2010 at 12:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum!

Mel on November 10, 2010 at 3:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I like the look of this - very easy. I noramlly make my tuna pasta using a packet mix, but if your daughter can make this I think I should give it a whirl.

MariaL said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks yum...must give it a whirl!

Christie - Childhood 101 on November 10, 2010 at 11:25 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh, adding this one to the list, after all if a medium sized frill can make it, surely I can too :)

alison on November 12, 2010 at 1:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Fantastic! Its in the oven for dinner tonight. Yummo : )


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015