Friday, November 5

Fast Food on a Friday: Oven baked chicken teriyaki


My first piece of advice to you is this.   Make double. Seriously, seriously good.
My second piece of advice is use the right piece of meat.  This needs to be chicken thighs.  Not breasts.  Not drumsticks.   Look if you get desperate, but this recipe is really at its prime with chicken thighs.  They have the most flavour, don't go tough and hold their shape.

You're going to looooooooooove it.  I've put it on my meal plan again, already.  Early next week.  I don't think anyone in my family will complain.  In fact I know they will probably cheer.... I'm going to make extra for sushi too.


Ingredients:
500 g chicken thigh fillets, skin removed
2 tb cornflour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
1 tsp minced ginger

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

In a saucepan mix the cornflour, sugars, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and ginger together.  Whisk together over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the sauce slightly thickens



 in a small baking tray, place your thighs and pour sauce over.

Place in oven for 25 minutes, turn the chicken pieces over and return for a further 20 minutes.
Remove, cut into slices and serve.

Print this post in friendly format

12 lovely comments:

Bianca on November 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This sounds great! I personally, don't eat meat anymore, but this looks simple enough to whip up for hubby and kids. Thanks :)

Cate on November 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks yum!! Am making Teriyaki Salmon for my darlings tonights - add a sweet sauce and you are almosts always guaranteed a success!! Will definitely give this a try!!

Christie - Childhood 101 on November 6, 2010 at 1:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I saw your post on my phone as I was finishing off my shopping list yesterday, about to head off to grocery shop. So glad I did as I made it last night and it was yummy! Thanks, Liss :)

A Farmer's Wife on November 6, 2010 at 8:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks gorgeous, and more importantly like everyone in my house would eat it.

Thank you!

Bianca on November 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm back! I have made this sauce several times now & the whole family loves it! I use sanitarium vegie fillets and coat these with the marinade and then fry them up. I've had it with fried rice and as a sushi ingredient. Absolutely delicious!!

srwei1 on December 6, 2010 at 3:29 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love it, love it, love it!
I am about to make this again (for the 4th time in 2wks!!!!) but this time Im trying drumsticks to please the little ones!

Ive had my parents over for dinner for this 2wks in a row and I think Ill be renowned for the recipe which is stolen from you!

Delicious and so naffing easy, its one of my CBF night - to steal your term!

Thanks again, Liss!

Olivia said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am about to cook this tonight...by far your photo looks the yummiest and I have to thank you in advance...I just know it will be a hit. Regards!

Kawaii for You on March 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks Yummo... I'll definitely be putting it on the menu this week. Anything I could use a replacement for cider vinegar though? Christine

Kawaii for You on March 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh, and my kids are going to lurve using their new chopsticks with this one!

Liss on March 8, 2011 at 10:19 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Kawaii for You Perhaps a mirin and a little bit of sugar - it needs to be a mildly acidic vinegar...

Kawaii for You on March 8, 2011 at 12:13 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for that. I've lost count of the amount of times I've bought a bottle or jar of something and only used it a few times. Christine

Jodie on August 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Love this recipe - very easy and tasty. Definitely worth making extra as it is lovely in a salad the next day.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015