Friday, November 26

Low Fat Friday with Lucy: Crispy Turkey Goujons with Cauliflower “Couscous”


Today we have a guest post from the wonderful Lucy over at Diminishing Lucy - as Molly says: 'Do yourself a favour and check it out!'  I so love this post and hope Lucy comes back soon for another guest post - don't you agree?

The first time I had the pleasure of coming across Liss's gorgeous blog was via Twitter, when I placed a call out for cauliflower recipes. Straight away she linked me to one of her "Season Savvy" posts, and I was hooked.

I am on an ongoing journey to health, so I am always looking at ways to convert recipes to make them fit with what works for me: with what helps me feel good, have loads of energy, and enable me to lose weight. This means a recipe must:

  • be low in fat
  • be low in processed carbs
  • be real food
  • be full of flavour
  • be filling
  • be high in fibre and high in protein
I'll be honest, when Liss asked me to guest post for her, I was thrilled.

And then terrified. She has so many brilliant recipes - how can I ever hope to give her (or her readers!) anything new?

But then I remembered this - a firm favourite of mine, fits ALL the above criteria.


Crispy Turkey Goujons with Cauliflower “Couscous”



For the crispy turkey goujons:

750g turkey breast steaks, trimmed and cut into goujons
1 cup stale breadcrumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
2 egg whites, beaten
1 teaspoon sumac (Lebanese spice)
Olive oil cooking spray

For the cauliflower “couscous”:

½ a head of fresh cauliflower
The juice of 2 lemons
Sea salt flakes & freshly ground black pepper
1 punnet (200g) cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Lebanese cucumber, halved cut into chunks
1cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup chopped fresh mint


1. Break the cauliflower into florets and steam in the microwave for 3 minutes

2. Drain, and allow to cool

3. Half all the tomatoes and chop the cucumber into chunks. Chop the herbs, and juice the lemons




3. Process the cauliflower finely, so that it resembles the texture of couscous



4. Combine the ground cauliflower with the lemon juice and the salt and pepper

5. Add the tomatoes, the cucumber, and the herbs and mix gently to combine. Chill.



6. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

7. Combine breadcrumbs, parsley, and parmesan in a bowl.

8. Beat eggwhites and sumac together in separate bowl.

9. Dip turkey in the eggwhite mixture, shaking off excess.

10. Toss in breadcrumb mixture. Place on trays.



11. Spray turkey goujons with the olive oil spray. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and crispy and cooked through.

12. Serve turkey on top of a pile of cauliflower "couscous" and with sweet chilli sauce on the side.




Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooooh, that looks fabulous! My mouth is watering after reading this post :)

Christie on November 26, 2010 at 5:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks SO good Lucy! I reckon that salad might just make it onto my Christmas table this year ;)

Diminishing Lucy on November 26, 2010 at 6:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Christie - Christie, because of the lemon juice, it keeps for a few days too - longer than cooked cauli normally would keep for, so it is a handy salad to have in stock..

Diminishing Lucy on November 26, 2010 at 6:10 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Good Golly Holly! Holly - we had it for lunch yesterday - me and lovely husband - it was divine....

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh now this is my kind of recipe!! i'll be filing this one for later!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015