Thursday, November 11

Let's talk about breakfast....



From my teens right up until I fell pregnant with Eloise - I used to skip breakfast.  I know, not good but it used to make me want to puke if I ate as soon as I woke.  I used to have a bigger morning tea, a smaller lunch then afternoon tea and dinner... or when I started working I would have a toasted sandwich when I got into work and read my emails whilst having breakfast - about 1.5 hours after I woke up.

But since being pregnant that first time I do eat breakfast.  Particularly when I was pregnant with Laura and Olivia breakfast couldn't come soon enough.  If there wasn't cheese and tomato on toast by the time my feet hit the floor it would mean trouble.  Hubby was so good where that was concerned.

These days I'm lucky if I get breakfast - not through lack of wanting - I get some cold toast on the run to get the house running in the morning (btw cold toast with butter and plastic cheese is fab) because if I don't get my groove before the school run, my day disintegrates into disaster!

Weekends are a bit different, hubby makes breakfast usually and I get something hot - either from him or something at my leisure.  I love a poached egg on toast and some crispy bacon on a Sunday...

So what about you?   Are you a breakfast person or not?  What's your favourite or most common breakfast?

Print this post in friendly format

10 lovely comments:

Belinda on November 11, 2010 at 6:39 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Absolute favourite breakfast is bacon and eggs. It's the kidlets and my weekend must. Mr. Kypo is usually sleeping.
I never skip breakfast during the week. It will range from a piece of fruit to gluten free museli.
X

Katie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I was totally the same with breakfast...was really bad at eating first thing! Then during my pregnancy I was so morning sick that no matter how much I tried, breakfast became almost redundant. Better at it these days (this morning is cheese on toast) but sometimes I will be so busy running around feeding other people, cleaning, returning emails/phone calls, etc...that I realize it's 10am and I haven't eaten. Also, I love a good poached egg and although I do all the other cooking in our house, it is hubby who makes the best poached eggs!

Jane on November 11, 2010 at 7:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm the world's biggest breakfast lover. If I don't get a good meal into me before I head off to uni/work, I am not happy Jan.

I think breakfast is such a versatile meal - which a lot of people don't realise. My favourites are porridge with banana/blueberries/walnuts/cinnamon, or poached eggs and avocado on grainy toast. Yum. x

Cate on November 11, 2010 at 7:26 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just got to have my homemade bircher muesli - while I sit here and read everyone's blogs first thing of a morning!!!

CamillaS on November 11, 2010 at 2:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I always eat breakfast, during winter I either have porridge or an egg and cottage cheese on toast. At the moment, I'm having special K.

For a treat, I love toasted banana bread.

Diminishing Lucy on November 11, 2010 at 8:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You have just totally spun me out, as I was under the impression that I was the only chick in the whole world who ate cold toast and butter and cheese on purpose.

I restrain myself most days (not good for my diminishing self.) But that combo for brekky is my ultimate comfort start.....

(Otherwise I do watermelon chunks at 5am....)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on November 11, 2010 at 10:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hehe that is such a cute picture! Well I skip breakfast usually. I know it's terrible but I just do and I prefer to eat it a bit later.

Virginia on November 11, 2010 at 10:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Can't miss that first cup of tea, Liss! We have a weet bix/vita brits rule on a school morning so I have that with the girls. We all love sprinkles on top too - either natural muesli or corn flakes. Yoghurt on top as well. My favourite topping though is sliced peaches or pears. We have porridge twice a week. If I miss brekky, it's the first thing I do after school drop off. If Daddy tries to skip brekky the girls are on his case!

Seana Smith on November 14, 2010 at 8:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm with Jane and Kate, love breakfast and especially love bircher muesli when I get it together to mix the apple juice and oats the night before. I cut up what can be salvaged from the half eaten apples that come home from school and chuck in whatever fruit is around plus yoghurt. Breakfast of champions!

And all thanks to the very early risers in the families.... a wee silver lining.

Katy on November 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh I love breakfast!! I usually head to the gym first up (6am), and I'll either have a bit of cereal before leaving for school drop offs at 8:15, or have a bit of toast or omelette when we get back about 8:40.

Weekends, breakfast is the first thing we do as a family! We occasionally do something different - like fruit toast, cinnamon toast, full baked bean/egg/tomato/toast breakfast.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015