Wednesday, April 20

Quickie Easter pressie: Coloured popcorn carrots!



I totally stole part of this idea from my sister and now I'm being a bit on an indian giver.  Because I made these for her two eldest daughters (she has three girls too and we're the eldest two of three daughters - no grandsons yet!) because I'm guessing she'll be trying to keep the chocolate to minimum.  

I haven't totally Indian given though.  When she gave them to my girls, she filled them with apricot squares - which looked amazing!  You can make orange from the Queen brand natural colours - mostly yellow with the tiniest bit of magenta if you are going for the no-artificial colours route.  Also you can also use a non-dairy spread instead of butter for those who may be giving to vegan other dairy-free families.

What you'll need to make 2 carrots:
6 cups popped popcorn
80g butter/margarine/spread
1 tsp yellow colouring
1 drop of red/magenta colouring
salt
2 disposable piping bags
2 twist ties
Green crepe paper
Curling ribbon

Method:
Pop your popcorn, set aside and melt your butter/spread with your colouring - it should be richer than you expect your result to be - remember it will spread a long way...

Pour onto your popcorn and work quickly to mix well - you don't want your popcorn to be soggy!

Finally add some salt, and leave to cool for about 10 minutes before packaging.
  
Cut about 20cm length from some crepe paper.  Fold in half cut a fringe.  Put your popcorn in the piping bag and secure it with well with a twist tie.

Wrap the crepe paper around the top and tie down with the curling ribbon.

How easy is THAT?  What are the little Easter bunnies in your life getting for Easter?


Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Kylie on April 20, 2011 at 7:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That is awesome!! My sister in law is allergic to chocolate (awful, I know!) So something like this would be perfect.

Thanks so much.

muppy on April 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

haha, i love it! nice break from chocolate :)

Diminishing Lucy on April 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am absolutely trying this. My kids adore popcorn, and so do I, if truth be known...

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on April 21, 2011 at 10:45 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What a clever idea! Love the greenage on them for more authenticity too :) And randomly my supermarket has run out of those piping bags. I'm so upset!

Rebekah on April 23, 2011 at 8:49 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Such a great idea. I really wish I had of seen this earlier in the week. There is always next year I guess ;-)

They'd also be a great idea as party favours if you wanted to avoid lollys.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015