Sunday, May 29

The 'Bake up' and the Hang over diaries


Hello everyone!

Now this one will have a few of you questioning me why on earth I would put this on the blog but I assure you I have my reasons.  You see, I don't really drink these days - in fact I can count on two hands the number of occasions I've drunk since I got married.  Kids are the ultimate turn off to big nights out or a 'night on the turps' aren't they?

In my younger days I was quite fond of the odd cocktail.  One of my best friends was a nurse and I'll just say we were bad influences on each other....  We lived quite close and infact my house was enroute from our watering holes and she lived in the nursing quarters at the local hospital.   Her cure for the almighty hangover was a litre of water a can of coke and a mars bar.  She rationalised this covered off any sugar levels plummeting and dehydration.  I used to rely on a falafel roll and a ton of water when I got home.. and then usually a berocca the next day.

Some days we'd wonder down to a local cafe and partake in a fry-up.  This would normally always, usually do the trick if all else has failed.    A fry up was a regular Sunday thing at my parents house on a Sunday too, but it's not really one in this house.  We'd probably have some form of homemade pastry or pancake. I do love a poached egg on turkish toast on occasion though.

This kind of dish is really a staple of middle america which is a bit scary but if you're up for it, it's a great one for a hangover.  I think a good fry up requires a bit of co-ordination in timing and certainly not something I'd be doing well after a big night... this is a perfect alternative.  Kids can help too.


Ingredients:  Serves 8
8 Hashbrowns
2  medium tins Salt reduced baked beans (there is enough salt in the rest of the ingredients so please, at least cut down the salt in this bit!)
8 button mushrooms, sliced/diced
8 lean sausages or 300g lean sausage mince
2 tsp white pepper
2 large tomatoes, sliced
3/4 cup grated tasty cheese
8 slices shortcut bacon


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

Take sausage mince out of casings (if you have a hangover, get your 7 year old to do it like I did) and fry up the mince with 1 tsp of white pepper.  Drain, set aside.

Layer your hashbrowns along the bottom of your baking dish.


Spread your baked beans evenly along.

Then add your mushrooms

Then add your sausage and sprinkle it with the other tsp white pepper

Add tomato

then cheese

and lastly the bacon.

Cover with foil, but only to the edges of the baking dish.   Bake for 30 minutes (at this point take more panadol if you can or drink more water/berocca).

Remove foil, and bake for a further ten minutes.


Serve!

So friends, tell me what is your hangover cure?  Do you even need one?
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Super Sarah on May 29, 2011 at 1:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmmmmm, I could have done with this breakfast this morning! We stayed with friends who we play cards with, didn't get to sleep until the port was finished and the last hand played, it was close to 2am! We had cinnamon french toast, scrambled eggs and crispy bacon with lots of coffee in the french press to cure our hangovers!

Mammamusing on May 29, 2011 at 2:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

A bowl of pasta with a simple tomato sauce. It cures me every time!

Although I should add it is untested in recent years. My newest hangover cure is a feisty toddler. I can't face the thought of a hangover and dealing with her so I avoid them altogether :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015