Sunday, January 2

That ever-elusive secret recipe.... do you have one?



I think of myself as a pretty good sharer-erer of information - particularly recipes... but I know there's people out there with a secret family recipe...   Of course there's Col. Sanders (I'm pretty sure someone cracked that, the 11 herbs and spices had a couple of additives and colouring numbers too I think) and then for years it was my Nan's Christmas cake.   A few years ago she handed that over to my sister and last year I got the Christmas pudding recipe... but I still don't have one family recipe and if I ever do get it I'm sure I'm not allowed to share it.

That's not fair is it?

The recipe is for my Mother in Law's German apple cake.   It's pretty simple I'm guessing and my hubby has the recipe (can you imagine he has it and I don't!?) but I'm not allowed to have it, yet.  Hubby is very protective of this recipe and whilst I've got the best excuse in the world to put my feet up and watch him make an enormous mess in the kitchen whilst he makes it.... I still want it.

The first time I ever ate the apple cake was when I first met my mother-in-law.  It was April 2002 and hubby and I had just gotten engaged after knowing each other for 5 years and being together for 1.  I still hadn't met my soon-to-be mother in law.   I walked in sheepishly, my nerves all the more rattled after hubby had told me after we pulled up at the front door after a 5.5 hour drive that he'd never officially bought a woman to meet his Mum, no less invited her to stay overnight I had a feeling there were going to be a lot questions... a lot of sizing up.  Hubby being the only child of a single mother I expected no less.

I walked in, hiding my engagement ring,  she was warm and welcoming but I was the supporting act - she was very pleased to see her son and whilst I found my way to our (separate) beds, hubby sat in the kitchen whilst she made herself a cup of tea.   I came to the table, and again, put my hands under the table to allow them to catch up.

Hubby sensed my nerves and held my hand tight.   She sat down with the tea and asked me how the drive was - I smiled and said it was a pretty drive and then something took hold of me..  It was the smell of fresh pastry and cinnamon.  At that point it had also aroused my mother-in-law - she opened the oven and oh I can tell you I will never forget that smell.

She served me some apple cake with cream a la mode and it was divine.  She told me it was her father's recipe who was a bavarian baker, and it had been passed down through his father and his father before, all bakers.  I felt I was ready right there to become part of this family.

So over this family recipe hubby broke news that I was a new part of theirs.  She was shocked but thrilled - best piece of cake I've ever eaten.

Do you think I get the recipe?  Not YET!

Does your family or do you have a secret recipe?  Is there a secret recipe you're after?


[image]
Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Bel on January 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have a recipe I wont give out.

My "sex" cake recipe.

It stared out as almost as good as sex cake, but is now known in my friendship circles as sex cake. Everyone who has tried it has asked for the recipe.. and I say NO. It's my recipe. I'm not sharing the sexy goodness LOL. It's basically death by chocolate, then getting reincarnated, and dying again.

It's not a recipe that has been passed down, just a cake recipe I found and have altered to the now infamous cake that everyone loves.

I have a passed down recipe which is a 5th generation boiled plum pudding. It is made of awesome.

Liss on January 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Queen Belicious Oh Queen Be - you temptress you- sounds divine. Now I feel like chocolate!! xx

Nat on January 2, 2011 at 6:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Congratulations! I have chosen your blog to receive 'The Stylish Blog' award. If you would like to accept this award please follow the link below. http://nats-natterings.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

Diminishing Lucy on January 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have a chocolate and pecan brownie recipe that I keep secret. I don;t even know why I am protective of it - it is my party piece slice to take to morning teas.....

I have a box of recipes and recipe books of my (late) granny's. I hunt for a recipe of hers in that box with feverish regularity. She made, weekly, a cheese biscuit. To have as a nibble with drinks. There was always a cannister of them in her larder.

I think I can smell them baking some days - then I realise it is wishful thinking as I miss her so much.

I would die for that recipe. I have tried to emulate it. Fail.

greenfumb on January 2, 2011 at 7:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I used to think that my Chocolate Self Saucing pudding recipe was an old family one but actually it is a CWI recipe. I do have a secret ingredient that I add to mine though.

My grandmother had heaps of secret recipes but she got dementia so they were never passed on. The one I coveted most was her pickled onion recipe, no-one makes them like she did. My aunts think that she made it up as she went along and that's why no recipe ever turned up.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hehe we've talked about this haven't we! lol. My mother used to be super, super protective about her recipes but is now loosening up about them. Which is good because I don't really agree with keeping recipes a secret (obviously given that I have a food blog). To me recipes should be shared but that's just me. I know so many people that will never give out recipes!

Danielle on January 4, 2011 at 9:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I recently became the proud owner of the family Shortbread recipe. Apparently my great great (potentially a third great) grandparents owned a bakery in Wales.

Feel a little priviledged to finally have it in my hot little hands! Its definitely not an easy thing to obtain!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015