Sunday, January 9

Sunday baking project: Orange almond cake - YUM! (and it's gluten free)


Every man and his grandmother has made this cake I'm sure - well my grandmother has made it anyways - and my Mum.  And I'm pretty sure my sister has made it too.  Anyways I always like to eat it and I was inspired months ago whilst watching Food Safari on SBS when they had the Jewish cooking feature and a lady made it.

It is really low maintenance and let's face it a fabulous cake to have when you have coeliacs about - even us non-coeliacs will be vying for a piece.  It's gorgeous and moist and the preparation method of the oranges gives it a deep and sweet but not sickly taste.

I'm yet to find someone who doesn't love this cake.... I'm sure there's someone out there but they're crazy friends, crazy!! It's delicious!



Ingredients:
2 oranges (I used navel)
6 eggs
250g caster sugar
250g almond meal
1 tsp baking powder



Method:
In a large pot, boil your oranges for 2 hours. (Yes, I really wrote 2 hours!)  This can be done ahead of time and yes, you don't peel it or anything.    Once done, set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees c.

In a food processor mix your eggs and caster sugar until well combined

Chop up your oranges roughly, skin intact - the house smells glorious when you're boiling them and then they are bright and lovely when you cut them!

Plonk them into your egg/sugar mixture and process until orange is miniscule!

Then add your almond meal and baking powder, process until well combined.

Pour into a greased 18 or 20cm springform pan.

Bake for 1 hour - give or take 10 minutes depending on pan you've used.  Dust with icing sugar.. 

It's yummy served warm with cream too! (reheat in foil if you wish)

Are you baking today?

Join me at lunchtime for our next giveaway this week - if you're a baker - you'll love today's giveaway! x
Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Corrie on January 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yes I watched that one too and thought I must make that too! looks lovely and I can just imagine how it tastes with a cup of coffee.

Its 9.47am in the morning and I've already baked a lovely banana bread so it's a good start to the day!

Corrie:)

The Sweet Wife on January 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sounds Delish! Im off to boil some Oranges RIGHT NOW!!!!!! yum yum yum

Nic on January 10, 2011 at 9:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks delicious! I'm going to make one for a play date on Wednesday!

Nic on January 12, 2011 at 8:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Well, I made it last night for the park today and it was delish! The girls loved it...there wasn't much left! And you're not wrong about the smell of the house while boiling the oranges...yummmmm. I'll definitely make it again :)

profoundlypaul on July 11, 2011 at 6:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Um, What flour?

Other than almond meal, there's no flour in the recipe. I only ask as you mention flour under the second picture: Plonk them into your egg/flour mixture and process until orange is miniscule!

C. McKane on August 20, 2011 at 8:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum, my sis makes almond cake but never with orange. Have to try this one thanks!

Dave said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

" 18 or 20 inch springform pan"

Mmmm.can't find one that big, cm perhaps?


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015