Sunday, January 23

Sunday baking project - Australia Day Damper!


Can't believe it's taken me two years to put this up with all the bread I've made and simple, easy recipes I like to share - but there you go - it's finally here.

Really, along with Irish soda bread it doesn't get easier than this with bread - of course the best way to eat damper is with lashings of butter and vegemite.   The girls like to help making this and I daresay there will be few dampers on the table at my Australia Day gathering... what about you?


Ingredients:

3 tablespoons (75g) butter
2 cups self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 cup milk


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c.

Put all dry ingredients into a bowl with the butter

Mix well and then rub butter in with your fingers until you have a breadcrumb-like consistency

Should look a bit like this...

Slowly add the milk 1/2 at a time, mix through until you get a lump of dough. 

Grease a tin or pan with canola oil or butter and then plop your dough onto a floured surface, knead a little (no longer than a minute) until it comes together


Fold into disc (I put a little ball on top but you can do whatever you like - shape it like Australia perhaps!?)


Brush with a little more milk

Pop into the oven for about 40 minutes, until golden brown on top.

What have you got planned for Australia Day?
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks fabulous - I might need to try it! I haven't had damper since primary school camps when I was a kid.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland on January 23, 2011 at 9:11 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh, this looks fantastic!! Something the children can get their hands into. Love Posie

Jaime on January 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Bread with no yeast - you're my hero Liss, thanks!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 23, 2011 at 9:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hehe I think I have that same Australian flag (which I used for a photo too! :P). Lovely looking damper! :D

Penelope on January 24, 2011 at 1:02 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Such memories! It's about time I made this with my girls, thanks Liss.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015