Friday, January 7

Curry in a hurry with my pressure cooker (or not)


I really do under-utilise my pressure cooker and it's annoying because every time I do use it, I'm so pleased with it. This meal being no exception.  There are just some meals I just can't slow cook - especially if they have some creamy element - it goes yukky in the slowcooker sometimes.

I made this curry from beginning to end in 35 minutes - including cooking of the rice.  It was tender and yummy and I've got to say, I feel like making it again right now.   I'd probably add some steamed green beans over the top after cooking - that would be a great addition.

If you don't have a pressure cooker, don't fret - just add 1.5 hours to the cooking time.

Ingredients:
600g diced beef
1 cup coconut cream (get the low fat version if you like, I used low fat)
1 cup chicken stock
2 heaped tb peanut butter
1 tb curry paste (I used my own balti, but use massaman if you prefer it)
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced roughly


Method:


Heat up your pot until hot and drop in some oil, then your beef, brown on all sides and remove meat - put aside.

Add your curry powder and a couple of tablespoons of your coconut cream 

Stir quickly and then add your chicken stock and peanut butter.   Stir in well and then add the rest of your coconut cream and potatoes. 

Simmer for a few moments and then add back the meat.

Put the lid on your pressure cooker and cook for 15 minutes (at this time I put my rice in the microwave)

Serve!

So do you have a pressure cooker or want one?


Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Katy on January 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oops, the peanut butter is the 2 tablespoons?

Might give this a go too! Love a quick meal!!! Yum!

I have a pressure cooker, but it only ever comes out to cook corned beef/silverside. Yum!

Unknown on January 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow, this looks great! Other "Curry in a Hurry" recipes I've read have 35 ingredients... so I love the ingredients list. I'm off to hunt down some coconut milk.

Thanks for posting this recipe!!

L


hip pressure cooking
making pressure cookers hip again, one recipe at a time!

Nisha on January 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

The pressure cooker is a staple in my mothers kitchen. It was treated with much fear and respect during my childhood- that unpredictable stopper violently hissing geysers of steam, the importance of sealing it tight and the terror that gripped us when it came time to open the damned thing- praying that it wouldn't spray the roof with fountains of dhal! I'm sure they've come a long way in the past 25years though!

Having said that- it does work major miracles with lamb and beef that are almost impossible with the regular stove top method.

Nic on January 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am so glad I saw this post! I have a pressure cooker, mainly because everyone in my (English) family has one and so I just put one on our wedding gift registry! I use it literally once a year to make my own Christmas puddings. Every time I think, what a waste, I really should use this more often! We love curry so I will definitely give this recipe a go!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015