Thursday, January 27

A glimpse at our Australia day - how was yours?


Last year I chastised myself as I hardly took any photos - luckily my friends did but this year we took it to new levels -hardly anyone did!  Only a few and mainly of food (this I call food bloggers curse) but I hope you like them.  Good news is I have a whole lotta new recipes to share with you in the coming days!

It was a pretty laid back affair with most of the food preparation taking place the night before and we were pretty organised - so organised I even managed to whip myself up a quick shirt in the morning.  (See, retromummy is a good influence on me, but my fabric stash says otherwise!) I saw the fabric on sale a few weeks ago and thought it looked aussie-flag-like.  $4 for this shirt, with leftover fabric for a head wrap!

It was nice and cool and THANK GOODNESS because it was HOT.  Steamy would be a more accurate description.  The group of 8 kids we had here got busy in the wading pool, the slip n slide.  After lunch this included the adults too getting into ice-fights, water fights and then by the end of the day, mud fights... ahem.


We had enough to feed an army (I always over cater, cater for blow-ins etc) and friends bought wonderful contributions like Baileys cheesecake, smoked salmon dip (I am SO getting that recipe for you guys!) and of course how could I forget the caramel lamington shaped like Australia?!  (delicious for any time of the year!!).

So the upside of catering for an army is there's lots of delicious leftovers and I get a rest from the kitchen for a few days.  I'm sure there's a few hangovers amongst our party today - and I don't want to point anyone out in particular, but none of those would be the ladies at the party... if you catch my drift.  I'm sure hubby is feeling a little worse for wear at work today and has drunk his bodyweight in coffee...

How was your Australia Day?

Print this post in friendly format

8 lovely comments:

Veggie Mama on January 27, 2011 at 10:17 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Very quiet! Waddled around in the ocean, waddled around in the pool and spent the afternoon fanning myself and eating chips! Fun day though. And by the way, what a great shirt idea :)

Corinne (aka Rinny of Arabia) on January 27, 2011 at 10:20 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks amazing!

We had a backyard barbie. Prawns, butterfly veal, salads. Pav for dessert (my first every and it was yum!).

The sprinkler got a good work out too.

The men at our party are feeling a little worse for wear too I'm sure.
x

Nic on January 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummmm! Yours looks great :) we had friends over for a good old aussie bbq; had butterfly lamb leg, steaks, sausages and marinated halloumi kebabs, plus salads and a lot of alcohol!

We had your orange and almond cake for afternoon tea, warm with cream, and our guests devoured it!

Kat on January 27, 2011 at 11:19 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sounds like you guys had a fantastic Australia Day! And I agree it is always good to over cater and give yourself a break from cooking for a few days after. We had a bbq at a friends because our house has a tiny backyard. We are hoping to be in a bigger place by next year so I am putting my hand up to host next years Aussie Day celebrations.

Super Sarah on January 27, 2011 at 11:50 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We had a lovely day at a friends house with a pool, 12 adults, 24 children, prawns and snags on the barbie, lots of beer and a pav and a cheesecake for dessert! And yes, the Dads will all be feeling worse for wear today!

greenfumb on January 27, 2011 at 11:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

So busy and so hot - we set off for Bobbin Head at 9.30 but the car park was already full tried Bayview - bumper to bumper traffic from TH - so decided on Akuna bay. Got the last park in the car park and squashed a 4WD, a people mover and a boat trailer into one park! Loads of boat ramp rage - not me - and then finally into the water about 11.30 - what a relief.

It was beautiful out there, lovely picnic, nice friends and back to theirs for a BBQ. Only downside was Rafa going out of the tennis :-(

Jasmine1485 on January 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks like you had a lot of fun :D I'm very jealous of the huge pile of food, I'm sure it was delicious! I'm afraid I didn't do very much yesterday, just pottered around the house, but it was a nice relaxing day nonetheless. :)

Not Quite Nigella on January 31, 2011 at 11:03 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thankyou so much for inviting me! I had such a great time and the food was fantastic (of course!). The girls were at their charming best to and I had such a wonderful Australia Day with you all! Xxx


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015