Thursday, January 20

A guide to staples: My pantry masterlist DRY GOODS


You can all thank Merrill for this post as I've been meaning to (and promised a few of you) it a while ago and she finally kicked my butt into gear.

I'm going to list everything I consider a staple in my pantry. I add things depending on a certain recipe but at any given time, this is what you would find.  I will add to this with sauces, condiments and of course, herbs and spices in the coming weeks.

Of course if you are vegan, vegetarian, gluten intolerant or eat from a certain culture or have certain intolerances this of course will be different..  But call me a lacto-ovo-carnivore who loves to bake! (I eat just about everything!)


Pulses, grains and pasta

  • Dried soup Mix
  • Dried split peas
  • Dried yellow peas
  • Dried lentils
  • Dried barley
  • Arborio rice (risotto rice)
  • Sushi rice
  • Brown rice
  • Long grain rice
  • Quinoa
  • Spaghetti/Fettucine
  • Penne/Spiralli/Farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
  • Sesame seeds
  • Rice paper
  • Noodles (2 minutes, hokkein, whatever!)
Stocks/powders
  • Salt reduced chicken stock powder
  • Beef stock powder
  • Vegetable stock powder
  • Chicken noodle soup mix
  • French onion soup mix
  • Powdered whole milk
  • Custard powder
  • Gravy powder
  • Cocoa powder
  • Coconut milk powder
Breakfast Cereals
  • As you like - but we always have Cheerios, corn flakes, rice bubbles and weetbix on the go
Flours
  • Plain bakers flour
  • Tipo 00 flour (for pasta)
  • Self raising flour
  • Wholemeal flour
  • Gluten free plain flour
  • Rice flour
  • Cornflour
  • Semolina
  • Polenta
Sugars
  • Brown sugar
  • White sugar
  • Caster sugar 
  • Raw sugar (I love raw caster sugar too)
  • Icing mixture or Pure Icing sugar (I usually have both)
Other baking and cooking bits
  • Bicarb soda
  • Baking powder
  • Cream of tartar
  • Gelatine
  • Vanilla extract
  • Vanilla beans
  • Parisian essence
  • Rosewater essence
  • Peppermint essence
  • Food colourings
  • desiccated or shredded coconut
  • Choc chips
  • 70+% cocoa chocolate
  • Jelly crystals
  • Pappadums
  • Corn chips/tacos
Dried Fruits
  • Apricots
  • Figs
  • Dates
  • Sultanas
  • Currants
  • Cranberries
  • Mixed fruit (mainly at Christmas)
Nuts:
  • Pinenuts (raw)
  • Almond meal
  • Slivered almonds
  • Hazelnuts (raw)
  • Pistachios (raw)
  • Walnuts (raw)
  • Pecans (raw)
  • Peanuts (raw and salted)
  • Cashews (raw)
  • Macadamias (raw)
Tinned goods:
  • Diced tomatoes
  • Tomato paste
  • Kidney beans
  • Borlotti beans
  • Three/four bean mix
  • Chickpeas
  • Evaporated milk
  • Condensed Milk
  • Coconut cream
  • Baked beans/spaghetti
  • Peaches/apricots/two fruits

Drinks
  • Tea - bags or leaves
  • Coffee - instant
  • Milo
  • Cordial
(and by the way, that's not my pantry - I wish! - image credit here )

Print this post in friendly format

13 lovely comments:

greenfumb on January 20, 2011 at 8:34 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I was having pantry envy, it's phenomenal. Obviously that person does not have a horde of teenagers helping themselves all the time. I will keep that in mind for my next house.

Your pantry must be pretty big to keep all that in it though.

Liss on January 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yes, I agree Deb!

My secret is tupperware - it not only helps me keep it fresh, it helps me keep it accessible and organised - I do need more though - about 10 more containers...or a few more. I keep my tinned goods in a separate cupboard, as I do the drinks :)

Unknown on January 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great list! I have almost all those ingredients in my cupboard. I became obsessed with tidiness over Christmas and bought 5 of the Ikea $7 bulk container packs and have poured all my boxes/packets of dry staples into them and labeled them. I love having an organised cupboard.

Quinoa, Semolina and Polenta confuse me. I don't know how to use them in recipes and I don't really know of any recipes. Can you help or do a feature on these?

xox

Liss on January 20, 2011 at 10:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Mrs RichoThe quinoa I use as a substitute for risotto or rice - just for a change - I should do some recipes with it - thanks for the nudge :)

The semolina I use in my pizza dough - http://www.frillsinthehills.com/2010/05/best-pizza-dough-with-our-favourite.html

The Polenta I use to make chips or just for myself with some melted butter and sage. It's a good thickener too :)

Unknown on January 20, 2011 at 11:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This actually sounds a lot like my pantry with the addition of soy and other asian sauces, ginger and expresso coffee minus gluten free and quinoa. I'm a bit of a nut at the supermarket and I love to have everything on hand. It does all get use and nothing is wasted.
I love your blog and will enjoy following it.

CamillaS on January 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That's a dream pantry, shame I don't have the room for all of that.... one day :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wowsers - is that your pantry in the picture? That is pure Pantry Art!!! Lurrrvvee it.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hehe and this doesn't even include your special utensil drawer which has every single utensil known to humankind! :P

Leesa on January 21, 2011 at 6:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow that's a fully stocked pantry!! No way I could fit all that in mine. Our pantry is quite small so we keep limited stock and shop regularly. Oh how nice it would be to have all this on hand with out all the trips to the shops!!

PS your shopping bill must be humongous!!!

Liss on January 21, 2011 at 7:55 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Leesa Leesa, it might seem like my shopping bill would be huge but I meal plan and I only replace what I use - I don't replace everything every week :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm taking it all down! Love Merrill xxxx

Christie - Childhood 101 on January 26, 2011 at 11:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love this, thank you :)

Fiona @ Brave New Vintage on January 27, 2011 at 1:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hey Liss. I love lists and I love knowing what people keep in their pantry (odd obsession I suppose). I'm not as a prolific cook as you but as my family's diet is predominantly vegetarian so I too have many pulses and various grains. Now I have pantry envy too of the one pictured. Gotta get those jars! I'm loving glass jars right now. Do you or any of your followers know where I can get some large glass jars like the ones pictured? :-)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015