Friday, January 14

How organised are you for school?


With the two-week countdown underway here (and I think 1 week in Qld?)  I've been crossing off my list of what we need for school.  It's a little bit surreal I'll be dropping all three off and walking home on my own but soon enough I'm sure it will seem perfectly normal.

We have uniforms, school bags, shoes, socks, lunchbox, drink bottle and even our pencil cases and school list sorted (well for the little girls, I went off Eloise's list for last year, I might need extra things for Eloise).   I'm feeling quite organised for school and with almost 2 weeks to go for Eloise and a few days extra for Laura and Olivia it feels fantastic.

The only things left to purchase is new sneakers for everyone, and I guess I'll do that next week and then there's sports shirts and hats which I'm just waiting on the stock to arrive at the school uniform shop (which I run for the school so issue with that).

My latest little crafty exploit is making hairclips and bows.  With three girls and a dangerous addiction to them I figured I better teach myself and stop buying them.

Last January I bought some gorgeous little bows on elastics that were so easy to use and looked fabulous but alas after we lost the first one, and then the second (where do they go?  Same place as odd socks?) I couldn't find them anywhere so I went with ribbons and bows.

The problem with that is they are a lot more effort and a bit more maintenance too - they are played with and get grubby.

So this year - I have bought the supplies and I'm making a huge collection.  If they are lost I can make more at a fraction of the cost and I save myself not only money but time in hunting them down and getting the girls (times three remember!) ready for school in the morning.

How are your school preparations going?
Print this post in friendly format

11 lovely comments:

Kirsty S said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I need to iron the labels on the uniform pieces, buy some more hair elastics (bought ribbon on a roll so I'll cut as needed) and go get a different lunchbox as she's already cracked the lid on the one I bought last week. What else? Hmmm... that might be it, my big girl is hanging out for school to start.

Our school does a staggered start for the Preps so they all do a half day in a very small group so the teacher and teacher aide (uh, sorry, School Officer) gets to know them a bit and then they all go for a full day on the Friday, have the weekend off and "go like the big kids do" from the Monday. QLD - we're starting on the 25/1. :)

PS Hair tutorial? Might be handy for a lot of us who require bows and elastics. :)

Nisha on January 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We start school one day after we move into our new house! Eeek! Im planning on packing all their school clothes, hats, shoes and socks in their school bags before we move. The school bags and empty lunchboxes & drink bottles and sunscreen will get put in their own "Back to School" moving box so everything is in one place and we wont have to rummage through boxes to find stuff- hopefully, getting the out the door will be a smooth process.

Im so thankful that our school doesnt have uniforms and the kids dont need to bring anything apart from lunch!

Katy on January 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

School shoes and sports shoes are a tick, as are new socks. We're using last years bag and lunch bag (is it customary to buy new ones every year?? Might be, but I'm over the waste!).

No book lists etc yet, so just waiting for that in week one.

Next year will be a biggy with A going to school too! I wish I was better with girly hair!

Marcia said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm nowhere near ready and don't want to be! There I said it...I love the holidays!

I still need to organise black school shoes, joggers, haircuts and hoping my son's school books arrive on time. They're being delivered the week before school starts. Not sure I trust this system, it's a first for us!

Our oldest is off to high school this year. Only thing I have organised are his uniforms. They still have the tags on though.
Guess I should wash them & get hubby to hem his pants this week.I don't know how too!

I must say I'm really surprised that sending them off to high school feels like sending them to school for the first time all over again.

I'm sure you'll shed a tear on the girls first day.
Just don't do what I did, I cried everyday for a week!
People start to think your a little crazy...

Christie on January 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We are not quite there, but I have started, today in fact. I just finished making a library bag, one more to go. We have a sixth birthday here next week, so once that is out of the way it will be all systems go.
(I just tried to click on your stainless steel water bottles ad, but the link "does not exist").

Cathie on January 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohh gosh! I don't feel like I am ready at all. ribbons..haven't thought of that.
lunch box ok, bag ok, water bottle ok, school shoes ok.
Amelie won't start till the 7th of Feb so I have a bit more time than you guys I guess.

sooo nervous.

will be strange for you Liss, all the best with the transition.

Mrs Catch on January 14, 2011 at 3:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Getting there. With five children, it's a little like raising the Titanic!

Diminishing Lucy on January 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, I need you to do a photo tutorial on your hair tie creations! (I went to by them today - I looked EVERYWHERE - no joy. (Plenty to be had if the school uniform colour is gold, maroon or bottle green. No navy blue or royal blue left ANYWHERE! We too had these last year and they were so good.)

But we did manage school shoes for all today, which was less heartache than anticipated.

Lunchboxes etc are all all done.

Name tapes are sewn in.

Hair cuts are booked for next week...

Super Sarah on January 14, 2011 at 4:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I would LOVE to know how you are going to make your hair ties and bows! We have so many hair elastics and some ribbons but something easy would be awesome. Amy sits and lets me braid her hair every morning before preschool which is a routine I am going to continue for as long as possible!

Deb on January 14, 2011 at 5:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

big kindy girl is ready, got all her stuff but me as the teacher...

nope!

going in next week to set up the classroom and get organised. its going to be a struggle that's for sure!!! although today I went to smiggle and got some supplies, that made me feel MUCH better! smiggle is crack for teachers!

Kirsty S said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Lunch box and hair elastics bought! Version of Mamabake (but every 6-8 weeks) sorted to get me off to a good start for the "OMG... I'm stuffed" or "CBF'd" nights organised. Now I just need to win a FITH birthday prize (please, please, please!!!) and I'm sorted!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015