Monday, January 3

Salad days: Salad as a meal - smoked trout salad


My hubby scoffed when I told him we were having salad for dinner.  Well not exactly scoffed but there was a pause and one eyebrow raised.  He is a country boy and was raised on meat and three vege and sometimes I forget this because he's an adventurous eater these days and does eat vegetarian meals but somehow I don't think salad as a meal is really his idea of a meal.   The exception to this rule of course is my thai beef salad - I was not sure if I could tempt fate twice.

So I bulked it up - some potatoes.  Crossed my fingers... and no dice.  But it filled me and girls up - I just think my man needs 'cave food'  - there needs to be meat sometimes (takes me back to My Big Fat Greek Wedding)



It's really simple to make and the kids can help put it together - it's perfect for the end of a hot summers day I think!


Liss's smoked trout salad
500g desiree  potatoes, diced into 2 inch portions (approx) steamed or boiled until cooked, but firm
100g green beans, steamed or boiled until just cooked, but firm (rinse in cold water once cooked)
1 lebanese cucumber, chopped
100g cherry tomatoes, roasted and cooled
500g smoked trout, removed from bone and flaked (I buy it whole from woolworths in the fish section - it's pre-packed)


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c - place your tomatoes on a roasting tray or small ovenproof dish and be generous with some pepper and salt - roast for about 15 minutes until lovely and soft.  Set aside

Steam/boil your potatoes and beans, rinse in cold water as soon as they've cooked and set aside

Arrange your salad by layering the potatoes, beans, tomatoes and then cucumber.  Flake your trout and then mix just before serving.

The tomatoes become super-sweet and the potato has the substance and the beans and cucumber has the crunch.  You don't need a dressing but if you want one - just try a small amount of lemon juice.

If you haven't had trout before - try it - it's like a stonger tasting salmon - a little bit goes a long way so this salad is bursting with flavour!  It's very easy to lift from the bones too.


Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Corrie on January 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yummo! definitely making this one as nice and healthy! love how you roast the tomatoes too!

Corrie:)

Diminishing Lucy on January 4, 2011 at 7:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am a salad as a meal type of girl - especially warm salads...

Tonight is pan-fried veal, pumpkin and pine nuts.

Tomorrow is chicken schnitzel (grilled and cut into strips) with sauted whole button mushrooms and tiny chunks of swiss cheese....


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015