Wednesday, January 19

Rescue Wedges (baked, not fried) - some for now, some for later


Hello all!

It was yesterday of all days I was so happy to see these in my freezer.  I had a monster headache and didn't feel up to cooking at all.  A few weeks ago I had an over-supply of desiree potatoes - they were starting to bud up and it was way too hot to be roasting/boiling potatoes - especially three kilos of them.

So I cut them into wedges.  This is super easy basically cut them in half and then each half into wedges.  Measure them out into a baking tray that you would usually cook them in and then package them up by putting some olive oil, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper either over the potatoes first or straight into a ziplock bag then adding the potatoes, squeezing out as much air as possible - and then seal and smoosh it altogether to move the oil, salt and pepper all over the potatoes.

Freeze 'em right then and there - if you don't want to cook them straight away.

To cook from raw - heat your oven to 200 degrees c for about 20-25 minutes
To cook from frozen - add about 20-25 minutes to the raw cooking time.



  •  Now, spice it up!  Add a spice mix of 1/4 tsp cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper if you like spicy wedges.
  • Add some chilli powder and lemon juice just before serving for a fab accompaniment to a cold beer.
  • Or have some sweet chili sauce and sour cream on the side (or dolloped on top)

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Marcia said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love this idea!
Hope your feeling better today.

Katy on January 19, 2011 at 8:22 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! Will add this to my freezer ideas for my recovery!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thansk you - what a great time saving idea :O)

mummy_chelle on January 19, 2011 at 8:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We hardly eat any potatoes but it is cheaper to buy them by the bag at our local fruit & veg place. I think I will add this to my repertoire as my dd will ALWAYS eat chips but I don't always have the potatoes to make them. Now I will :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015