Tuesday, January 11

Activity with something to eat at the end: Quickie icecream (and Jelly)



I mean which kid doesn't love jelly and icecream right?  Well if your kids don't - swap them over for mine - that means more jelly and icecream for me... just kidding!

The thing is when you make jelly and icecream - it's awfully time consuming.  Every time you open the fridge the chorus: 'Mum is the jelly set yet?'  I remember saying it to my own Mum.  Icecream when you make it does take a while too so when I saw the cold set jelly in the supermarket last week (yes, it wasn't sent to me, no I'm not getting paid to write this - hehe)  I couldn't resist.  I had to see if it worked.


So we made it - it's basically cold water and crystals like normal, stir them in, put it in the fridge and 40 minutes later - jelly ready to eat.  I LOVE that! (And I'm not alone!)


But whilst we were waiting that whole.forty.minutes. I got busy preparing to make quickie icecream.  You'll need for each child 1 snack sized ziplock bag, 1 large sandwich sized ziplock bag, milk, vanilla, rock salt and ice.  Lots of ice.

First of all fill your snack ziplock bag with 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Seal it on up.

Then in your large bag add 6 tablespoons of rock salt (don't ask me why it's rock salt, I just do as I'm told...)

Fill over the top of your salt with ice, until you're about half way up to the top of the bag.  Put the snack bag with the milk in it into the large bag with ice and salt and seal up the large bag.

Shake for about 10 minutes - the kids will love doing this and the key is making sure the ice is moving around the milk bag. After the 20 minutes or so, remove the milk bag and rinse under cold water to get all the salt off it.

Look freezy ice!

Mix with your jelly and get onto devouring.  Personally I want to try it with vanilla custard - I think it will be more 'ice-creamy' ...

What do you think? Would you give it a go?

Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Your daughters are beautiful :)
Is jelly in Australia the American equivalent of Jello gelatin? This is a very interesting combination.. one that is not common here in the States. As far as I know, cold water quick set gelatin is not available in our supermarkets. The whole process is very child friendly too. I will have to give it a try.

Nisha on January 11, 2011 at 12:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Waiting 4hrs for jelly to set is agony here too! Im really curious about the science of the ice cream prep... im guessing the rock salt starts to dissolve the ice and provides more cold surface area to start to solidify the milk.

So shake the bag for 10mins then let it stand for another 10mins(to make up the 20mins?)? or are we shaking for 20mins?

Liss on January 11, 2011 at 3:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Deborah Hi Deborah - Jelly is the same as Jello there.
This quick cold setting type is new to the market here - I always assume you guys get things first - obviously not in this case!

Liss on January 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Nisha
No, just shake the bag 10 minutes out from your jelly being ready I say!

I would seriously make it with custard - because icecream is essentially frozen/churned custard - the milk is creamy but more milk-ice type creamy. Custard would make it really creamy - more icecreamy I think!

Penelope on January 12, 2011 at 1:43 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Putting my chemistry student hat on...salt lowers the colligative properties of water, meaning that instead of ice changing from ice to water at 0degrees, it does so at a lower temperature. This means the ice absorbs more energy from it's surroundings (you and the milk mixture) in the form of heat energy,'making the milk mix super cold.

It's the same property that makes salted water boil faster, as the salt lowers the boiling point below 100 degrees, taking less energy to convert water to steam.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hehe now this is going to sound weird but I didn't like jelly when I was young but that's just because my dad worked for Davis Gelatine and that's all we had for dessert! So I think we got sick of it lol. But the girls look so adorable making their jelly!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015