Tuesday, May 18

Honey Loaf



You all know that I worship the church of Rachel Allen don't you?  Who is Rachel Allen you ask?  The Irish baking goddess.  Everything she makes, works.  Her recipes read like your best friend's recipe, full of little hints and tips, helping you get a better understanding of why you do a process.

Recently I finally, finally landed myself a copy of her book, BAKE.  I honestly have no idea why it took me so long, it's go 'me' all over it.  

So the first recipe I've sampled from the book is this honey loaf.  I prepared it on a school day morning, whilst the frills were eating breakfast, popped it in the oven, and got on with the getting ready business, by the time I'd got showered, dressed, got the frills ready and cleaned up the breakfast dishes, it was ready.    The house smelled homely because of the honey and it being a crisp morning was like a warm honey cuddle.

I left the house with honey cake in hand, smile on my face and off to my busy day - school drop off and playgroup.  It was gobbled up in literally minutes by the playgroup crowd, and with no sugar added, was much praised by the mummies.

This is the kind of bread to make for breakfast on the go - toast it up and butter it or just on it's own for morning tea.  It's really versatile, and you could make a double batch (as I did, but the recipe below is in single batch measurements) and freeze one... good for the school lunchbox.

Ingredients
300g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
100g butter, softened
175g runny honey
2 eggs, beaten
75ml milk
1 tbsp warm honey, for brushing

Method:
Preheat oven to 170 degrees

Cream the butter until light, and then gradually add your honey until all combined and a bit fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time until all well combined.

Sift in flour, baking powder and salt and stir through with a spatula.

Then stir in the milk last of all gradually, should form a softish sloppy dough.

Spoon into a greased loaf pan, and pop into the oven for 45-55 minutes until browned on top and cooked through.

Heat honey in microwave safe cup and heat on high for about 20-30 seconds, until hot.  Brush over loaf if you wish.

Suitable to freeze for up to 2 months.

Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

MaryJ said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Love love Rachel Allen too.
What time do you get up in the morning woman??? Baking before school drop off?? How do you do it?

Corrie on May 18, 2010 at 2:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh yes do you get foxtel? love her shows on foxtel, she just has such a calming voice and manner and always looks beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!
yuuuuuuuuuuuuum
Corrie:)

Liss on May 18, 2010 at 2:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I started at 7.00am, it was in the oven by 7.20, breakfast/school lunch 7.20-7.45, shower and dressed by 8.10 - took it out of the oven, hair done bag packed, beds made, loaf cooled and wrapped, out the door by 9am!

It's busy, but it's doable!

MaryJ said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Well I better get my act together!!

Jaime on May 19, 2010 at 12:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for this Liss, today is baking day.

Anisa said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks yummy, might make this today.
I hope I can get as organised as you when my eldest starts school next year.

Lauren on July 21, 2011 at 6:59 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My 2 and 3 year old girls have been awake for an hour (2 year old had nightmares half the night, poor thing). We are all tired and worn out. I actually came on to look for something simple and yummy to cheer us up. This looks like the perfect pick me up for us all! Im sure their little tummies will thank you later.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015