Wednesday, May 26

Chocolate Walnut Biscotti


How cold is it at the moment?  Pretty cold!  I find myself hugging up to warm hot chocolate at nights these days whilst putting the finishing touches on my blog posts, catching up with my latest telly addiction and relishing the fact I don't have three little frills talking AT me usually all.at.once.

I've been feeling like biscotti for weeks, weeks. Finally got around to making them.  So now, it's my lindt hot chocolate, with my chocolate walnut biscotti and peace, trashy tv and sometimes twitter to keep me company.  Bliss.

Ingredients:
1 cup walnuts
75 grams good quality cooking chocolate (I used Lindt specialty cooking chocolate)
75 grams butter
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk


Method:
Heat your oven to 180 degrees c (170 fan)

Place your walnuts on a tray and into the oven, for about 5-10 minutes until roasted

In a microwave proof bowl, place your butter and chocolate and heat in the microwave on 50% power for 1 minute.  Remove and stir.  Return to microwave for a further minute on 50% power.  
Stir, and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and with a fork, whisk through your eggs.

Stir in your chocolate mix and a little milk unti you reach a dough-like consistency.  Stir through the walnuts.
Cover, and place the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Preheat oven again to 180 degrees c or 170 c fan forced.

Remove from the refrigerator and pour out the mixture onto a floured surface.  Make two log shapes and place on on a greased baking tray.  Bake for 40-50 minutes until cooked through.  It will crack a bit, don't despair, this is normal!

Remove from oven (leave it on though) and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.

With a bread knife, cut your log on the diagonal and return the slices to your baking tray.

Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then turn over and bake for another 10 minutes.

Leave to cook and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks (they won't last that long, I promise!)

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

alison on May 26, 2010 at 6:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh, totally agree...sounds like bliss to me too!! I love biscotti, thanks so much for sharing your recipe. Might just take a wander into the kitchen right now and see if I have all the ingredients, mmmm...
(I enjoy popping into your blog every now and then, love your recipes, parenting info and am a keen gardener too...thanks for a great blog).
Alison

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on May 26, 2010 at 11:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I know, I don't usually put the heater on during the day but I've had to-brr! Nice accompaniment to a hot chocolate!

Nisha on May 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Will have to try out this one Liss! I tried a version of these from another 'online source that shall not be shamed' and the dough was like cake batter- and it was supposed to be like that! Made for impossible rolling and flat biscuits!

♥Beryllium Lithium Class of 2011 on July 11, 2011 at 12:47 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just made these today... and ate 5 pieces already... forgot to make hot chocolate though. Might have some for breakfast with hot chocolate tomorrow morning though :) Thanks for posting this!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015