Friday, May 14

Home made crumpets


'Crumpets?' my hubby looked at me in disbelief. 'How do you make crumpets?'  Yes it seems a bit of a far-out notion but seriously, if I can make doughnuts surely I can make crumpets right?

Turns out they're not hard at all.  And the recipe I used (well modified quite a bit) made about 40 of them, and the cost? about $2.80.  No, I'm not joking.

I've come to realise since making these, crumpets are not just for breakfast, these ones are perfect for afternoon tea or even dessert, they are truly delicious, and very rewarding.  I froze mine in lots and now I have a 'quickie breakfast' for at least 5 breakfasts to come!  So worth it!

Give it a try today or over the weekend and enjoy!

Ingredients:
600gr flour
2 tsp dried yeast
1 tsp salt
700ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 tbsp warm water

Method:
To your flour, add your yeast, milk, vanilla extract and salt.

Mix well with a beater, until it resembles a thick batter.

Set aside in a warm draught free place for an hour, and allow to prove (yes, it will rise!) Make sure it does rise though, with the cooler weather it may take a little longer than 1 hour, maybe 1.5 hours - but it should fluff up at least 20% bigger and have a sloppy dough consistency and be bubbly on top.

 Then add the bicarb diluted in warm water, stir through and leave for another hour.

Heat a pan to a medium-low heat, melt some butter and if you like your crumpets to be round, pour into egg rings - about 1/2 the way up.
After a few minutes, take the rings off and allow to cook until the bubbles are mostly popped on top.
Turn over and cook for a further 40 seconds.
Serve with butter, jam - whatever you fancy - my fave is honey and banana!

These will freeze well in ziplock bags, reheat in the microwave!

Print this post in friendly format

12 lovely comments:

Barbara on May 14, 2010 at 7:10 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss these are great. I have to make some. Thanks for the recipe.

Unknown on May 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love crumpets. Have just sent hubby a text to get him to pick up some dried yeast!

Talia on May 14, 2010 at 10:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

um, can I just say "WOW!" you make it look so easy! Haha. I shall be trying these soon I think!

Cathie on May 14, 2010 at 10:08 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, I know I always say it, but you are AMAZING!!!
love it.
I need to search your recipes for a good brownie recipe.
have a great day supermum

Jaime on May 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, what do you do with the leftover batter? can you freeze it?

40 may be about 35 too many for us! LOL

Can I make a recipe request?

Bec on May 14, 2010 at 9:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG Do you know how much you rock! We've refused to buy crumpets since they've become so expensive and I've been wondering how to make them at home and then I just stumbled on to your blog! Thank you!

Liss on May 14, 2010 at 9:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I wouldn't freeze the batter jaime - cook the lot and freeze them made up - Put them in family/kid serves or just in one big ziplock bag and pull out as you need. Microwave on high for 1 minute and bobs your uncle - quickest breakky ever!

Yeah, you can make requests !!! You can post a comment or email me liss[at]frillsinthehills[dot]com xx

Corrie on May 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

sooooooo making these
corrie:)

krystal on May 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

so excited to try these!
thank you :)

jen @ giftboxology on February 22, 2011 at 8:29 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

i love crumpets. i'm definitely giving these a try later in the week.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on June 23, 2011 at 10:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

where do you get those egg rings ?

Liss on June 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Trish.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• I just bought them at Woollies Trish! I think they're about $6 a set of 2.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015