Tuesday, May 25

Slow Cooker Recipe: Osso Bucco


A few years ago when the frills were much smaller, osso bucco was definitely our family's favourite meal.  Tender, easy for babies/kids to eat and little effort to put together for an amazing result.  We ate it A LOT.  You know when you totally over do something?   Well that's what happened with osso bucco around these here parts - Osso bucco and our family went separate ways for a while.


Then I saw them - lovely meaty cuts at our butcher a few weeks ago - and a lovely price - around $2 each.  I snapped up 5 and stashed them in the freezer.  I usually prepare it in the oven but on thinking about it - it made perfect sense to put in the slow cooker - so I did - with fabulous results.


It takes about 15-20 minutes to prepare and then you stir through some stuff 30 minutes before serving - the taste disguises the effort - it tastes like you've spent aaages procuring the taste!


Ingredients:
5 pieces osso bucco
1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper 
2 large carrots, diced
4 cloves garlic, sliced/thinly diced
2 onions, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
400g tin (or 4 large fresh) diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
continental parsley, chopped.



Method:

Mix the flour, salt and pepper together in a ziplock bag.  Place the osso bucco pieces in the bag and shake so all the meat is covered with flour.


Dust off any excess and place in a frypan with a couple tb of oil, on medium heat,  Brown the osso bucco on both sides, and place in your slow cooker.



Add the onions, garlic, celery, carrot, tinned tomato, stock and red wine.  Place the lid on the slowcooker and set to high for 3.5 hours or low for 5 hours.

30 minutes before serving, stir through the tomato paste and parsley, put the lid on and turn onto high.


Serve with pasta or potato mash/greens -or just on its own!  

    Print this post in friendly format

    12 lovely comments:

    Barbara on May 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    Oh I so love Osso Bucco. Def bookmarking this.Thanks Liss.

    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on May 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    I love the idea of little jars of baby osso bucco :) How about the Frills in the Hills line of baby food? ;)

    Red Dirt Mummy on May 25, 2010 at 11:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    Yum, ym, yum! Osso Bucco was already on my menu plan for this week but, this has just confirmed it :)

    PinkPatentMaryJanes on May 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    Why hello meal that's going straight onto my menu plan for next week. YUM!

    Unknown on May 28, 2010 at 12:00 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    Have it all in the slow cooker ready to go for tomorrow! Yum Yum!

    Super Sarah on May 28, 2010 at 11:05 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    Hmmm, I have to say I am a little grumpy after putting this all together in my slow cooker this morning. It was only as I was halfway through the recipe that I realised I need tinned tomatos as well as the tomato paste! It wasn't on the list of ingredients and my meal planning frenzy means I only buy what I need for cooking. Sigh. I guess tinned tomatos are really as much a pantry staple as beef stock and olive oil! I have the utmost faith that this will still turn out delicious, I spooned some tom paste in with the beef stock for richness and will taste test later to see if I need to add in anymore.

    All this aside I have to say I love your website and recipes, you have encouraged me to try things I wouldn't normally based on how easy and simple you make the process look! (Case in point, vegimite english muffins!)

    Liss on May 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    Oh sarah you are RIGHT. I am so sorry! Do you have any fresh tomatoes? You can chuck at tin in for the last hour if time is an issue. Wish I could give you some from my pantry!... updating recipe NOW!

    Thanks for the lovely compliments - I do take the photos of all the steps so the less confident cooks (and even the confident ones, I use them!) can see how they're doing along the way.... it builds confidence in the cooking process I think ;)

    Let me know how it turns out OK? xx

    Jane Wightman on June 20, 2011 at 4:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    Winter downunder just seems to go hand-in-hand with Osso Bucco! Made one over the weekend and, although I can't remember which cooking show on Food channel it was, saw addition of olives (I used about 10 kalamata sliced in 4) & anchovies (& about 6-8 depending on size), so gave it a whirl-Shirl!
    Turned out super delish and will def be adding both again.
    I let the veal come to room temp then salted/peppered before quick frying. Find that this aids in browning and caramelisation.
    Also used (Campbell's) beef consommé (thoroughly recommend both their beef & chicken versions) instead of stock, it really is beautiful, less salty and has a deeply beefy richness.
    Always add a good glug of passata too that way I don't have to worry about the sourness of tomato seeds and errant skins which slip through the tinning process and with slow cooking in the le creuset can eliminate need for tomato paste too ;-)
    Had ours with couscous & green beans w/garlic

    CamillaS on June 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    Made this last night and it was a huge hit! My husband and I both loved it. Made a couple of changes just to suit us both and served it over fettuccini. Yum!

    Eden Riley on July 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    I'm making this delectable mofo for dinner this week. Yes. Yes I am.

    Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    We just followed your recipe to the 't' for a birthday dinner and it was absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much!

    Unknown on August 17, 2015 at 3:06 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

    Hi, I just came home with osso bucco with plans for the slow cooker, but wanted to google for a few ideas before throwing it in and ignoring it for a few hours. Yours looks simplest and tastiest, so off I go. Thank you for sharing your ideas.


     

    Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015