Wednesday, May 12

The perfect 'Soup Bread'



Oh this baking bread is a selfish addiction.  I just love it.  This bread recipe is by Paul Merrit from one of my fave shows on at the moment Economy Gastronomy.  I love it so much I bought the cookbook from the UK! Imagine my joy that there is a bread section in the recipe book!

So this recipe makes three loaves,  I know it seems like a lot but please do make it this way and freeze the other two loaves.  It's deliciously crunchy on the outside and spongy on the inside - perfect for dipping into your soup.  I made a quickie curry lentil soup and bless, it was perfect!  Just the ticket to warm yourself up!

I felt compelled to torture tell everyone about this recipe because seriously it's SO good.  This one is staying with me.  Love it. I'm going to defrost another loaf this week and make an enormous garlic bread.

Ingredients:
1 kg strong plain flour (I used tipo 00 - this can be found at the supermarket)
550ml water (warm)
20g fresh yeast or 1 tsp dried yeast  (I have fresh, but it's near impossible to get unless you have 'connections')
15g salt
a dish of salted water
a little extra flour for dusting.

 Method:r
Combine yeast, water flour and salt in your mixer or in a bowl.  Combine well with a spoon or your dough-hook and then remove and knead by hand or with your mixer for about 4 minutes with the hook (on lowest setting), or 10 minutes by hand.

Leave the bowl in a warm place and cover with clingfilm or a damp teatowel for an hour or until it has doubled in size

Preheat your oven to 240 degrees c (or 220 fan)
Punch back the dough, (i.e. expel the air - like my punch mark?) and then turn out onto a floured surface.

Divide the dough into three even-ish bits.

Roll them out into your loaves.  Paul suggests you make ovals by pinching from the centre of the dough and folding under, it works!  Place onto greased trays, score the top with a sharp knife down the centre (to prevent splitting during baking) and dust tops with extra flour.

Now for the tricky bit - well not really but take note - This gives the crust it's wow factor:
Place the loaves in the oven.
After 8 minutes leave open the oven door and leave open for 2 minutes, turn the oven temperature down to 190 degrees c (170 fan) close the door and leave to bake for a further 30 minutes.

Cool on wire rack and try to resist serving immediately with big blobs of salty butter - I dare you!

Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Cass on May 12, 2010 at 1:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love this show too. I sit there taking notes on my ipod but looksl iek I might need to get the book. I'm hanging out for the last episode as I missed it with the 2 dads and the baby

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on May 13, 2010 at 6:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum Liss! The garlic bread sounds delicious. xx

Shell on August 10, 2010 at 1:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I thought this bread was good on Sunday night when I baked it!
Well, I just toasted it, to have with my soup for lunch and OMG!!
SO.GOOD.TOASTED!!
Am now thinking it would make fantastic Bruschetta too, and definitely good garlic bread!

Now I have to go make it again - as all three loaves are gone!

emmaO on March 21, 2011 at 10:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Dangerous, very dangerous - I could possibly eat the whole lot when warm!

Must try this one on my Thermomix Liss! I love making bread too now.
Off to check out "Economy Gastronomy" too :)

Elissa said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have never made bread before, this has just come out of the oven and I have managed to sample half a loaf already! Will be beautiful with my roast pumpkin and garlic soup for dinner tonight. Thanks for the amazing recipe!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015