Friday, May 21

Vege-mighty-english muffins


Oh I am SO excited to share this with you.  These were a wild experiment that went oh-so-right and these are definitely, DEFINITELY going on my regular baking rotation.

See I love english muffins.  I love them with butter and vegemite, I don't love paying $3-4 for six of them.

So me being a lover of baking bread and a total tightarse at times - thought I would have a go at making them.  I read through a few recipes and thought there was something missing.  So I read another.  Hang on, what's missing?

You don't bake them at all.  Nope you don't.   Read on.

So when I was making them yesterday I was thinking 'why don't I put the vegemite IN them?' because I have passed this love of vegemite and butter on English muffins to my frills, and invariably they wear more than they eat.

It works!!  It's totally, utterly delicious.  I'm seriously chuffed.. (did you get that? Really?)


Ingredients (adapted from Rachel Allen)
500g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp dried yeast of 1x7g sachet
350 ml milk
2 tsp caster sugar
rice flour (about 1/2 cup) to dust with
1 tablespoon vegemite

Method:
Sift your flour into your mixer or into a bowl.

Pour your milk, sugar and yeast into a saucepan and heat until warm, remove from heat and wait 10 minutes, it should froth up.


Pour milk into your sifted flour and knead well - about 5 minutes with dough hook/bread maker or 10 minutes by hand.  It's nice and soft, and easy to work with so it's actually quite a pleasure.

Place in a bowl sprayed with canola spray and leave to prove for about 1-2 hours, until it roughly doubles in size (mine did about 1.7)

Punch the air out of it but kneading a little and then knead through your vegemite for about 3 minutes.

Upturn your bowl over the top of it whilst it sits on the kitchen bench and allow it to prove for another 30 minutes.

Then roll into a thickish sausage about 20cm long.  Roll in the rice flour.

Cut into 10-12 pieces and then roughly pat down into discs about 1.5cm high.  Allow to sit for another 30 minutes whilst you move onto the next step.

Heat up a grill or frypan without any oil or butter turn up high for about 10 minutes, then down to the lowest setting on your hotplate.   Place your dough on for 10 minutes on the first site - don't worry - they don't burn!


Then turn over for another 10 minutes on the other side.  Store in a teatowel whilst they cool to avoid them drying out.

Freeze for up to 2 months!

This mixture made 12 muffins  (that you split in two to make 24) they taste like the real thing (but only better in my opinion because of the vegemite!) and cost - less than a dollar!!

Thanks to Anh - I think I'm going to submit this to Yeastspotting!
Print this post in friendly format

12 lovely comments:

Unknown on May 21, 2010 at 9:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Am so going to have to try these. Have the lemon ricotta cake in the oven at the moment though.

Corrie on May 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yum I so agree! I just can't justify spending that much on a pack when they last me 1 day in this house!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok I'll have to make these! in fact can you just write me a cookbook, that would be nice!

corrie;)

Fig and Cherry on May 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My lord my eyes are bulging! This is the best recipe I've seen all week... can't wait to try it out!!!

Anh on May 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is sooo good! Love it! Vegemite english muffins!

Rina on May 21, 2010 at 3:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh my lordy lordy. Vegemite - I have to admit that stuff scares the mainland North America out of me, haha. Keep seeing in the grocery store (that fact alone surprises people, that it's available here in Canada). Too nervous to buy it and taste it. Hehe.

Liss on May 21, 2010 at 3:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Rina, try it, but just a small bit, with butter. It's wonderful on hot toast, or these muffins, promise!!

Australian babies teethe with it, a finger full of it rubbed on the gums! I do not joke! I used to make my own teething rusks by double baking rectangles of brown bread with diluted vegemite brushed on, kids loved it.

So needless to say, most aussies have an affection for vegemite, it runs through our veins ;)

nellbe on May 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

something else to add to the list :) yum!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on May 21, 2010 at 6:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

haha genius! Just genius! :D

NatalieB said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss
I just tried making these, its so strange that they work in the pan!! They are yummy!

I made them without the vegemite as I wanted to use them for lunches (cheese and ham toasties) and I found they proberly needed a little salt in them.

Emily has them for lunch tomorrow and I think I will be having them for breakfast. I made them with skim milk and I think they are about 1.5 points each on Weight Watchers Plan!

Thanks again
Nat
xx

Liss on May 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yeah Nat, the original recipe doesn't call for salt, but with the vegemite included, you don't really need it - but without the vegemite, I'd say you'd need a tsp - good call.

I'm going to give it a go this week with some seeds/grains, so will include the salt too ;)

Vicki on May 26, 2010 at 5:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I know you have a life Liss (lol), but we have a muffin emergency. Can you pm me your moby on the fully sickest place pretty please? Thanks bix.

Monaghan Family on July 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh these look fab :) I'm going to try a gluten free version.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015