Wednesday, May 19

lunchbox Legends: Dairy and butter free muesli bars -easy and yum!



When Eloise started preschool I was excited.  My little baby was growing up, she would make friends, I would make little lunches in cute lunchboxes.  I had in my head all the cute and cool things I could make.  99.9% of those things (OK, make that all of them) were scrapped when we received the 'banned list'.

- No dairy (a child in the centre had an allergy)
- No eggs (ditto)
- No nuts (expected that one)

I had no.clue.

I started scouring through my recipe books, and the best I could come up with was a pineapple cake made from flour, too much sugar and crushed pineapple.  I just wasn't happy with it.

So I started to experiment, because my heart's desire was for her to have something tasty and healthy and not something I'd have use too many alternative or expensive ingredients.  I came up with these.

It wasn't until yesterday I even remembered them, because I ran into one of the kindy mums who says she still makes them - how did I forget about them?


Ingredients:
2 cups rice bubbles
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup plain flour
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar


Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees

Grease with canola spray and paper baking tray (approx 30cm x 12cm x 5cm)

Mix rice bubbles, oats,sunflower seeds, coconut and flour in a bowl, mix well.




In a saucepan, mix the honey and brown sugar, until sugar is dissolved and it just starts boiling

Mix through honey and sugar into the dry ingredients, mix quickly, the coconut and oats get thirsty!

Pour into the baking tray and press down with wet fingers well into the corner and press down firmly.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, take out of tray, if the bottom seems a bit soft (could depend on how thick your bars are), turn upside down on baking tray and return to the oven for about 15 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes and cut into squares/rectangles and completely cool before storing in airtight container.

Store in your airtight container for 2 weeks.
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Virginia on May 19, 2010 at 7:12 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, that looks lovely. Very much like the honey oat slice I made at 10pm last night! Just cut it up for 3 lunch boxes this morning. Mine is a WW recipe from one of their Beautiful Biscuit books. No eggs. Just butter and honey to keep it together. Love it. Let me know if you want the recipe. Will try yours next!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on May 19, 2010 at 2:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Life is so different now to when we were kids isn't it! I satisfy myself by making Mr NQN's lunch every day. He knows not to swap lunches ;)

Unknown on March 13, 2016 at 2:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi there I'm really wrapped about this recipe as it's just like what the uncle toby forest fruits recipe would be without all the fake stuff. I just made them and I only have to crush the sunflower seeds next time as my son didn't like them. Are there any suggestions on making them more moist or chewy as they were a little dry? I left out the coconut also as my son doesn't like it. I may have over cooked them but they were the same colouring as your picture.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015