Thursday, May 6

Book Review: Sally Wise 'Out of the Bottle' and roadtest Quince Jelly


This isn't the first Sally Wise book I've loved.  And yes, I love this one too.  Sally's slowcooker book is well thumbed here, and whilst I've only tried a handful of the recipes, it's more inspiring than anything else.

The same goes here with Sally's 'Out of the Bottle' . This book is a must for those of you who love to cook seasonally, are either dabbling, novice or experienced in preserving  - this book goes one step further.  What happens after you seal your preserves.  After each preserve recipe, follows a couple of recipes to use them with.  What a great idea!

You may know or not, but I only took up preserving about a year ago.  It's been a love affair.  I look at fruit and some vegetables with a whole new enthusiasm.     I have bookmarked 15 (yes, really) recipes.  I suspect I will make all if not more of them.

Cost:                RRP $24.99
On sale from:  1st April 2010
ISBN:              978073332557

Pros:  Loads of practical, wonderful recipes - lots to inspire.  Recipes that use those preserves
Cons:  I wish it had pictures, I really do!

Road Test - Quince Jelly
The great thing about this recipe is that it doesn't matter how many or how few quinces you have - this goes by equal measures - no special measuring spoons - just old fashion preserving rules.  I love that.

My Nan who makes a mean marmalade and lemon butter came around to road test with me so many of the pics are of her - I do moisturise my hands, promise! ;)

Ingredients:
Quinces - We used 5 medium sized quinces
Juice of 1 lemon
sugar

Apparatus:
Sterilised jars
Muslin or linen
Funnel (helpful)

Method:
Wash your quinces and rub off any furr-i-ness from exterior.
Cut your quinces into 1 inch cubes - including core.
Put them in a saucepan and add water until it *Just* reaches the surface of the quinces.



Bring to the boil for about 40 minutes until soft and peachy coloured

Strain over a colander, reserving the liquid
(I stored the flesh in a container to combine with more fruit for jam)

Strain the liquid through a sieve with double layer of muslin (we used a linen tea towel)



Put the strained liquid back into your saucepan with a measuring cup noting how many cups you are transferring.  Add for each cup of liquid, one cup of white sugar to the saucepan.

 on the boil, until it becomes a setting consistency. This will happen shortly after it turns a darker shade of pink  -you can check by putting saucer in the freezer then putting some of the liquid onto the cold plate and it should become immediately gelatinous.


Pour in your sterlised jars - store in a cool dark place for up to 18 months.
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on May 6, 2010 at 9:22 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ahh yes the pictures are what often make me buy a book as well as cook the recipes. But it sounds like it has some great ideas and perhaps for preserves and jams you don't really need photos (well insofar as this is what it should look like goes) ;)

Running Thread on May 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've heard good things about this book. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Hope to give it a go this weekend. For me, quinces really sum up autumn.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015