Saturday, May 1

Our visit to Marrickville Farmers Markets - on every Sunday!



If you follow me on twitter you may have recently seen me chatting with @katiefarmgate - Katie has been telling everyone for weeks of the bounty she brings down to Sydney for various farmers' markets each week from her family farm Nashdale Fruit Co just near Orange, a good 6 hours away...

Anyway I've been desperate to make some fig jam, and when she mentioned she was going to be in Manly, I got very excited and asked if she was bringing figs... the answer was a no :(  However that same afternoon she reported her Dad had just picked some and was bringing some the next day to the Marrickville Markets.

These markets are not local to me, but such is my desire for figs, it didn't matter, we set out on our adventure and with our frills we entered the markets at around 10.30am.  It was much bigger than I was expecting, quite the reverse of our recent trip to the Richmond Farmers Market.  Lots of stalls, fast (fresh) food, variety and even a jumping castle for the kids.

On the way in we came across a great stall with different flavoured licorice.  I love licorice so this was totally irresistible to me, and we shared a long strap of ice-cream flavoured licorice for $3.

I found myself looking like somewhat of a stalker trying to find Katie at the many fruit and veg stalls.. finally after embarrassing myself (twice!) we found her gorgeous stall with very friendly helpers and lots of cool produce.  Soon the very bubbly and friendly Katie led me to my figs and told me that Jared Ingersol had coveted them earlier in the morning, luckily she had saved them for me (sorry Jared - not!).  I added some Pink Lady apples off the tree, some gorgeous baby fennel and some red anjou pears and some quinces.. ahh produce heaven.
Moine, Moine, MINE!


We had a good look around - I grabbed myself a cheese and spinach gozleme - they are prepared fresh before your eyes for $7 - and could easily feed two peckish people or one starving individual or a few kids!


But our best discovery was the 'Tornado Potatoes'.  Similar concept to 'twisty fries' but SO much nicer, and pretty clever.  The owner of the business, , has just recently started at Marrickville markets and in his business in general.  He designed the potato twisting apparatus and had it made in Norway.  They use South Australian Dean potatoes and they are crispy and delicious - not fatty tasting and you can have them with all kinds of salt -cajun, garlic, classic plus others - they are $4 each or two for $7.  Definitely check them out!





If you're in Sydney at a loose end on a Sunday I really recommend it - the produce is excellent, freshly picked and of the best quality - it will last you so much longer too as it's not cold stored, it's only been recently harvested!
Print this post in friendly format

8 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on May 1, 2010 at 6:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooooh. They look like they would be worth a visit. Thanks. x

tasteofbeirut on May 1, 2010 at 8:17 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That farmer's market sounds so fun! I posted a recipe for a traditional fig jam (easy to make too) but it uses dried figs; there is a fresh fig recipe too but I haven't made it yet; I am waiting to be back in Lebanon where the figs are very good at the end of summer.
In answer to your question yes, agar-agar is for vegans.

Ally {mtm} on May 1, 2010 at 7:38 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh! I may head out there, thanks for the heads up Liss!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on May 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

hehe how great are those tornado fries! :D Eloise looks so cute!

schwester said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Nashdale are also down at the Manly Farmers' Markets every Saturday. They always have magnificent cool-climate fruit and veg - love them.

freshfoods said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for great review, next time pop into great Country Valley Dairy stall with REAL milk and the NO.1 Youghurt in NSW Lush with no additives and tastes devine.
Katie's vegies are the best have brought their rubhard when in season and made great fresh topping for the youghurt with it.
So those of you out there who love markets do give Marrickville a try.
Its in Addison Rd and has parkin on site. Ester

Corrie on May 4, 2010 at 10:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohhhh I'm going! if only so I can get me a fix of a good gozleme! my favourite food at the moment...huge cravings!

Unknown on July 29, 2014 at 1:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

The Marrickville farmers' market is really quite awesome, even if you're just going there to be a tad "touristy". There's always something yummy there to try!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015