Monday, May 10

Lunchbox to Dinner and in between - Make them at home - Corn chips


Now I have NO idea why I have not done this - but now I have - I have had the recipe for ions - but haven't got around to using it - saw another recipe in Super Food ideas this month which reminded me!  (Thank you SFI!)

When you think about the cost alone - even on special or no-name corn chips are what?  $2 a packet for 150 grams or something?  Polenta flour or cornmeal is very inexpensive and I worked out I made about 40 large cornchips for about $1.20.

I don't know whether I would drown them in nachos, as I think they would go a bit soggy, but they are perfect to eat on their own or dipped in a lovely fresh salsa.


Ingredients
1 2/3 cups dried polenta
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups boiling water
40 gr butter


Method:
Preheat oven to 240 degrees c
Grease 2 baking trays

Pour polenta into a bowl, add cumin, chilli powder and salt.

Add half the boiling water and stir in constantly until the polenta becomes lumpy, add the butter and stir through until it's melted.


Add the last half of the boiling water and again stir until lumpy.

Take tablespoons of mix and place onto baking trays.  Pat down with fingertips or a mini-rolling pin if you have one, to make them flat.


Place in the oven for 10 minutes, turn over, take out after 5 minutes further.

Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

lifeinapinkfibro on May 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow. I don't know that it would ever have occurred to me to do this, but what a great idea. Would be awesome with a fresh guacamole for entertaining as well.

Kylie G on June 2, 2010 at 7:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have a big bag of polenta in the cupboard that I bought for another recipe and it's begging to be used up. Thanks for the idea.

Louise on August 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I really want to make this but when I had a go last night my polenta just didn't want to cooperate! I stirred and stirred for over an hour (heating the mix up in the microwave every now and then and watching a movie as I stirred) and it never went lumpy. In the end I poured off the water and made the cornchips, but they were all grainy :( Please Liss, do you have a trick with polenta???

By the way, I have made many recipes from your fabulous blog and they have all turned out really well - this is the only one that I can't figure out :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015