Tuesday, May 11

Slowcooker Recipe: Fragrant chicken curry


 
This is a recipe I found in a book a while ago, and it's been on 'that' list for a while - it calls itself butter chicken, but butter chicken it isn't, doesn't mean it isn't nice or even delicious - it is extremely delicious, it's just not what it says it is!

My hubby loved the sauce.  LOVED the sauce.  Has asked me to make it again.  So although it's not butter chicken, it's making a comeback to the house of many frills.  Also, it smells wonderful and warm whilst cooking, filling your house with a promise of what's to come: yummy flavourful and warm dinner.  The ingredients are inexpensive and if you substitute evaporated milk for the cream, and used chicken breast, it would be pretty low fat too.


Ingredients (serves 8)
2kg chicken drumsticks or 1kg chicken thigh fillets.
20ml rice bran oil
2 onions, chopped in 8ths
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 thumb of ginger, peeled
1 chilli, chopped, seeds removed
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp gound cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp cinnamon
contents of 4 cardamon pods (don't put in the pod)
300ml chicken stock
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup cream

Toasted flaked almonds to serve (optional - but delicious!)


Method:
Preheat your slowcooker whilst:
In a frypan, heat the ricebran oil and add your chicken.  Put the lid on and allow it to cook and slighty brown, and then turn over and do the other side.  When done, place in the slow cooker.

Mix the tomato paste with the chicken stock and pour over the chicken.

Put the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli in a food processor.  Pulse until it becomes a puree/paste.


Mix your cumin, paprika, tumeric, fennel seed, cinnamon and cardamon together in a mortar and pestle. Mix together and set aside.

Transfer the puree to the frypan your chicken was in and stir over medium heat until the onion starts to caramelise, add the spices and stir well.

Add these to the slow cooker and stir well.  Place the lid on, place the slow cooker setting on high and allow to cook for 3- 3.5 hours.

20 minutes before serving, turn off the slow cooker and let sit for 15 minutes and then add cream.  Stir through (any earlier and it may curdle)


Serve with rice, toasted almonds and a sprig of coriander if the mood takes you!
Print this post in friendly format

8 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on May 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh I'm hoping to get a hold of a slow cooker soon so that I can play "Slow cooker" too! :P Love the idea of making this low fat!

PinkPatentMaryJanes on May 11, 2010 at 9:26 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You, my lady, are something of a mind reader. Just what I've got a hankering for and this is going on the list for tomorrow night's dinner. mmmmm.

Christie @ Fig & Cherry said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm being sent a slow cooker soon so I'm itching to try this out, yummy!

Kat on May 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yum! My sister is giving me her slow cooker when she moves to the uk in 2 weeks. Just in time for winter! I will definately be trying this recipe out.

DaniV on May 11, 2010 at 1:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks delish! Just a quick question though, I have a few of your recipe's that I'd love to try but have been hesitant due to chilli. I have a 1 year old and 4 year old - what age did you start introducing chilli to your girls??

Liss on May 11, 2010 at 2:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hey Dani
I introduced chilli pretty early on into the first foods regime. Not big amounts - a very mild cauliflower and chickpea curry, that kind of thing. Try starting with half the allocated amount of chilli if it worries you, but I attribute my kid's vast palate on trying a lot of things (not peanut/egg type stuff, no risk stuff obviously) early on.

Email me if you like - I have a document with all my fave first food recipes that I can email back to you (or anyone else).. :)

Unknown on May 26, 2010 at 7:12 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have this in the slow cooker for dinner tonight. Smells delicious already!

NannaMel on June 28, 2011 at 9:02 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made this last night and it was a HUGE hit with Hubby! his comment was: 'Make sure you add this in high rotation!'
Thanks Liss! Yet again, another winner!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015