Sunday, May 23

Sunday Baking Project: Family beef pie (cheat's version)



I'm finding my way to winter here, although I love being outside in Spring and that is my favourite season, winter is my favourite in the kitchen.  Roasts, stews, soups, the slow cooker going - and of course the puddings, can't forget the puddings!

My hubby loves a meat pie and it's not something I make very often but this pie, literally leapt off the plate into the stomachs of my family. I think I'll be making more pies somehow this winter (stay tuned, I have some ideas!) and this is a lovely cost efficient way to feed your family as the beef goes lovely and soft and it makes itself a lovely gravy, that you mop up of course, with your pastry.  Lick those fingers!

I will have a go at making the pastry from scratch next time, but this time I went for the quickie version - we all need a quick alternative now and then don't we?

Ingredients:
I kg blade steak, fat removed and diced
2 onions, finely sliced
1 carrot, diced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
6 medium button or 2 large field mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup beef stock
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp tomato paste
3 sheets
2 sprigs thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
3 sheets frozen puff pastry
1 egg


Method:
In a large saucepan or frypan, add some oil and fry your onions, carrot and potato until they are slightly softened - about 5 minutes

Add the thyme and then the beef, and brown.  Add the mushrooms, wine, stock with the cornflour added to it, and then the tomato paste.  Pop the lid on your saucepan or frypan and turn down to a simmer (low) for about 40-50 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c.

Grease your pie dish and cover with puff pastry - Mine is a bit large so I put one sheet on the bottom and then patched it with triangles from a second.

Put your filling in your pie ...

 And seal it up with a second piece/s of puff pastry.  Fork down the edges to fuse the top and bottom layers of pastry.  Brush with beaten egg.

Bake in oven for 25-35 minutes depending on the size of your pie!

Serve with greens!
Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Unknown on May 23, 2010 at 10:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks great. I may have to branch out from just cooking your sweet stuff to try this! Quick question, could you freeze it? And would you do so before cooking the pie or after??

Liss on May 23, 2010 at 11:53 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You could freeze it, But I'd do that before cooking the pastry - it might go soggy and wouldn't be as nice when reheated. You could make a few mini-ones too !

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummo! Is there any chance I could prep the meat in my pressure cokker to speed it along a bit and maybe just add some extra seasoning to avoid flavour loss? I am VERY keen to try making this.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

er, that would be pressure cooker...

Liss on May 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sarah - the answer would be.. HELL YES!! Leftover slow cooker casseroles and definitely pressure cooker casseroles are PERFECT fillings for pies like this ;)

Christie - Childhood 101 on May 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! *wipes drool off keyboard* It's on my menu plan for next week :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015