Monday, August 22

Jamie's (vege crisper) pumpkin soup - skin and all!



How's your vege crisper going?  Is there things in there that need using?  If so, this is your perfect soup.  Kerrie learned to make this at her Food Revolution/Ministry of Food class - it's adapted from a recipe from 'Jamie at Home' and it's super delicious.  I adapted mine slightly because my sage plant has died.  (insert sad face here) and I didn't use croutons at the end.. but this my friends is low fat, has high nutritional value and is delightfully delicious.

The biggest surprise for me with this soup is there is no need to peel the pumpkin - and that suits me down to the ground because I actually don't like that job much - I have visions I'll cut my fingers off doing it if it has a particularly tough skin.. but I used a butternut pumpkin and you don't even notice any difference - AND you are getting more vitamins from the pumpkin.  So you can be quasi lazy and look after yourself... win/win right?

1 tsp dried or 18 fresh sage leaves
2 stalks rosemary, stalks removed
2 red onions, peeled and diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 kg butternut pumpkin, seeds removed and diced
1.5 litres chicken stock

Method:
Heat some oil in a pan - if you're using fresh sage, fry them until they are crispy and then remove from the pan - set aside to sprinkle on your soup at the end.  If using dried ground sage, just add it to the oil.

Add rosemary, carrots and onions and heat for about 5 minutes.

Add the celery and pumpkin (see, there's SKIN on the pumpkin!) and heat for another 15 or so minutes.

Add your stock.  Put the lid on and let it go for an hour or so.


The smell is something else.  It smells healthy and homely. You may find yourself with a fork at the pot....

Pile your vegetables into the food processor (if you don't have one, mash very well) and process for about 30 seconds.

Voila!  Soup!

Serve with your favourite bread or croutons!  A lovely winter warmer!

So, what have you go in your crisper that needs using?

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Sam on August 25, 2011 at 5:20 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks delicious! I can make this from stuff from my garden!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My family of five enjoyed this soup tonight:) I added a little cumin:)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My family of five enjoyed this soup tonight, I added a little cumin, too


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015