Monday, May 30

Pressure cooker recipe: Quick, hearty, healthy soup



Yesterday I was back to my days with newborn twins:  Up to my eyeballs in nappies and living on 3 hours sleep.  Except I didn't have any babies.  Confused?  Well - I manned the Bubblebubs (modern cloth nappy) store for Mathilda's market - didn't get to bed until quite late and up early to get everything in the car, the kids up, fed, dressed and at the market at 7.15am.

The market was fun, it's always lovely to see and spend time with Corrie who had an adjoining stall.  When I got home in the afternoon I set upon getting organised for the week - school uniforms, homework, meal plan... oh and then I realised:  I forgot to soak my great northern beans I had planned to use for tonight's dinner.  

Great northern beans you can pick at most deli's and some fruit and vege shops.  They are similar to a cannellini or navy beans (what baked beans are made from) but they are pretty much flavour-less on their own so carry the flavour of whatever you you cook it with really well.  I pair them with chorizo a lot for this reason.  They are good on the budget too - about $2 for a 500g.  This recipe only uses 250g and makes enough for 8 people.

So I thought I'd make up one and use that pressure cooker I love so much and use too seldom.  So no-need to soak overnight or boil for 5 hours - bless that pressure cooker - saved the day!

Serves 8-10 
Ingredients:
250 dried great northern beans
1 cup shredded cabbage
3 carrots, thinly sliced
1 stick celery, roughly chopped
1 large brown onion, diced
2 smoked chorizos, finely sliced
4 shortcut rashers bacon, diced
4 litres beef stock
leaves from 10cm stalk fresh rosemary
400g tin diced tomatoes

2 tb tomato paste



Method:
Put all your ingredients into your pressure cooker with the exception of your tomatoes and tomato paste.


Secure the lid of your pressure cooker and cook with vent open for 1 hour.

Remove from the hob, run your pressure cooker under water until it stops steaming.

Return to the hob, add tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer for about 20 more minutes.
And there it is!  Two family meals in no time, and no soaking beans!  Thank you pressure cooker!
NOTE:  You can make this recipe in about the same time using a stockpot on the stove - using soaked or tinned beans of your choice.

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am with you on pressure cookers. Used ours tonight too. Working full-time it is just great to put everything in and then 30min its cooked.

Tat on May 31, 2011 at 12:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks so yummy, perfect for a wet cold day like today.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015