Friday, May 20

Best foot forward for bloggers - Good blogging citizens = success on many levels


This afternoon I've been pondering blogging and friendships and cooking from a cookbook a lovely blogger friend gave to me late last year.  She was sent the book to review and whilst she liked it, looking through it, she felt that it was more 'me' than 'her'.

I just thought about how sweet that was.  Really blogging is competitive.  I'll admit that.  Many bloggers out there are striving to be recognised, be invited to things, be considered an influence.  At times this brings out the worst in people.

In my relatively short time of blogging I have met some amazing people.  Not just celebrity chefs, magazine editors, and of course readers (love meeting readers!) I have also met some great bloggers.  I've formed meaningful professional relationships with many - and also some very precious friendships with some too.

This 'inner circle' as I'd probably like to call it, like all friendships, and professional relationships is where I derive a lot of strength and conviction to blog better. We encourage each other - we offer each other unbiased and honest advice.  We look out for each other.  We don't look upon each other as competitors.

I'm so grateful for these women.  They are my touchstone.  We frequently pass on opportunities when it seems more relevant to another - we are the first to congratulate them on a fantastic post  or coup/scoop.  This is what being a good citizen of a blogging community does I think.

Last week I was asked if I'd love to giveaway some baby products, which I did use and would have no issue endorsing/talking about/giving away but I felt it was better suited to a friend's blog - which is relatively new but has great things ahead of it, so I passed on that opportunity.  Same day I was asked if I'd like to trial some fabulous paint that can make over grungy kitchen tops into marble-like beauties.  And although it's kitchen, it's not me - so I passed that on to a up and coming decor blogger.

It's not issue to me, if brands want to get out to the market, it's important they do so through the relevant channels.

  • This builds trust between yourself and the brand
  • Keeps your content relevant - which is why readers come right?
  • Builds a respectful network of bloggers
  • Helps readers of the blogs where the content IS relevant.

Who loses?  No one!

Some other good networking skills

  • Credit bloggers if they have inspired you.
  • Collaborate!
  • Champion bloggers you think have something to offer your readers or other bloggers.
  • Champion blogging full stop. No one is ever going to believe you're the only blogger - by raising awareness of blogs, the readership grows.
  • Ask for permission where you are taking their concept to another level.
  • Ask for advice, but don't ask for the concept/the essence of what they do.

Some no-no's in the blogging world:
  • Slag off another blog or blogger to PR or brands - be professional!
  • Don't ask to go on or whinge because you're not, on someone's blog roll.
  • If you are invited as a guest of a blogger to an event, don't blog it!  You are a guest.  Unless they have given you the go-ahead or you ask (and if there's an awkward silence, that means no!)
  • Refrain from anonymous negative comments or passive agressive shots through social media or commenting. Be polite!


Remember, we all offer something different - or should strive to!  Being a good blogging citizen will not only bring respect of your peers but of your professional relationships with brands/mentors and importantly your readers.

[image credit]
Print this post in friendly format

16 lovely comments:

Corinne (aka Rinny of Arabia) on May 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great ideas, Liss! And I agree with you on every one. That's why you're a great blogger!

Poppy Seed Baby on May 20, 2011 at 3:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Liss, much appreciated! You're right, blogging can get very competitive but can also help you find the most wonderful people. I guess you have to take the good with the bad - but when the good is good, it's oh-so-good! :) xx

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Very sage and wise words! I think there is something in that for all of us. Nicely done. Caz

Ingrid on May 20, 2011 at 3:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Liss! Some very good points. Blogging is such an exciting way of reaching out and sharing experiences, but sometimes it can feel a bit overwhelming!

It's nice to know that we're not alone and we're all learning and trying our best to put up interesting info. Thanks for the mention!
Ingrid

Christie - Childhood 101 on May 20, 2011 at 3:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You are such a wise and lovely lady :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

And another fab post ;)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss you have always been extraordinarily generous and supportive, both as a blogger and as a wise voice of reason for me. Thank you xxx

Seana Smith on May 20, 2011 at 4:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Lovely examples of being helpful, and good reasons for being so, Liss. It's always true that 'as you give to the world, so the world will give to you.' And you're very generous... in fact, I am off to find a new, simple slow cooker recipe from your archives.

Diminishing Lucy on May 20, 2011 at 4:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I hear ya...xx

Veggie Mama on May 20, 2011 at 5:35 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You're the bestest blogger I know <3

Corrie on May 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ahhhhhhhhhhh so glad you put the last one up there! I think people forget that it's not high school anymore!

so glad to have you as a friend and I will be up at spotlight next week and come and say hi:)

corrie:)

Brenda on May 20, 2011 at 9:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

AMEN!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on May 20, 2011 at 9:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Gorgeous Liss! I missed this story as I checked in first thing this morning. I adore our friendship and how strong and supportive we are with each other. It's great to find true friends when blogging! :D And I love your pointers too! Could we send them around everywhere? :P xxx

Denyse Whelan. on May 21, 2011 at 1:19 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That was well worth reading Liss.. Thank you & I found it a helpful reminder about the real purpose of blogging.
It "may" seem like a competition to some & perhaps it is.. But for me... It's always been about connecting.
Thank you. Blogging Etiquette .. Yes!

tatumw on May 21, 2011 at 2:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Bravo :) beautifully said liss. Tatum

Jacki on May 21, 2011 at 2:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

So, so true! What a great way of looking at it! I'm sure your blogging friends have really appreciated your thoughtful actions!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015