Sunday, May 22

Sunday baking project - We *heart* easy ginger and cinnamon scones


Everyone on the planet knows about lemonade scones right?  Well I thought I'd give it a bit of a twist - because I'm a huge fan of cinnamon and particularly in this cool weather cinnamon is a spice that adds warmth and homeliness I think.  Cinnamon can always cheer or console I think.

You could even go another step further and substitute 2tb of flour for 2tb of cocoa and give them a chocolately cinnamon flavour too - I love experimenting and I think I'll give it a go next time.  The taste is lovely and emits the most beautiful perfume whilst cooking, cinnamon, ginger, warm oven, cold day =bliss.

My girls enjoyed these little pieces of love for afternoon teas a few times this week and nothing says 'I missed you today' like a heart-scone don't you think?

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups self-raising flour
  • 1/4 cup caster sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1/2 cup dry ginger ale or ginger beer
  • 2 tb milk

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees c
  2. Sift flour into a bowl, stir through sugar and cinnamon until evenly distributed.
  3. Whilst stirring, add the cream and then the ginger ale, until JUST combined.  Don't over-mix it!

4.  Get in there with your hands and bring it together in a ball (it actually feels lovely!)


5.   Put it on to a floured surface and pat down and sidewards  until about 3-4 cm thick, don't knead or roll it...

6.  Cut with any cutter you like and place them on a greased tray (I love the hearts don't you?!) Make sure you put them close-ish together (about 1cm at most) this helps them rise..!
7.  Brush the tops of the scones with milk

8.  Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown on top.  Serve warm - or cold - I reheat these if necessary.

9.  Serve with butter, or just jam and cream - I love these with mandarin marmalade - but any jam or marmalade would be fabulous!

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Kate @ Our Little Sins on May 22, 2011 at 6:38 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooooh yum, I've never thought to put cinnamon in scones, what a great idea! I agree, cinnamon is wonderful - it's on my porridge now. Thanks for the recipe, my toddler will love these today.

Diminishing Lucy on May 22, 2011 at 7:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh yum. I totally agree with the cinammon thing in terms of its smell making us all feel warm and cosy...

xx

Rosie on May 22, 2011 at 8:44 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Neato! I never thought of using ginger ale in the classic lemonade scones!

Jodie on June 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Made these today - they were yummy, very light and fluffy. I did find they were very sticky though and I had to add extra flour. The end result was great though, will definitely make again.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015