Sunday, May 1

Roast with the Most: Slow roasted pork with garlic potatoes



Oh how I love a roast dinner - but I must confess I'm only a recent convert to the Pork Roast.  It's just not something we had in our house growing up and the only eat-out experiences of pork roast was dry and unappetising to say the least.  When Hubby disclosed to me early in our relationship that his favourite meal growing up was pork roast it was a little un-nerving.  So I started to experiment.

I think the key to a moist roast pork is to cook it at least part of the time covered and baste it often.  I've also found a pork shoulder never lets me down either.   The le pork roast (rustic french version) I truly turned a corner and so am now always on the lookout for something to inspire me to make the most of a pork roast.

This one I adapted from a recipe from John Tarode (This version takes 4.5 hours, as opposed to the original of 15 hours.)- but it was much more labour intensive and time consuming and I'm busy enough!  My hubby is MAD for garlic so I figured crossing over two of his great food loves - can't lose!


Ingredients:
2kg de-boned shoulder of pork
10 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tsp paprika
2 tb canola oil
juice of 1 lemon (or 3tb lemon juice)
1 kilo new/coliban/desiree potatoes, thickly sliced

Method:
Place potatoes on base of slow cooker and place your piece of pork on top.

In a food processor or mortar and pestle, process or grind together the garlic cloves, paprika, canola oil and lemon until a thick-ish paste.  Pour over the top of the pork.

Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours.


 After the two hours it will be very garlicky and the top will be very soft, the potatoes will be mostly cooked.

Move all onto a roasting tray and generously cover in pepper and sea salt.   Place in a 150 degree oven for a further 2.5 hours.

When you remove them the potoates will have taken on a lot of the garlic taste and be crispy on the outer....

 as will the pork - crispy on the outer, moist and lovely on the inside - it will slice easily and melt in your mouth.  Any juices can be made into gravy..

Enjoy!


Do you or someone dear to you love a pork roast?
Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Cate on May 1, 2011 at 5:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow - never would have thought to start in the slow cooker -thanks for the tip!!!!

Looks great - we are all pork lovers in this house!

Kirralee @ Escape With Kids on May 1, 2011 at 9:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow impressive! I've never used a slow cooker, but saw the breville ikon on sale in the myer catalogue and am thinking of buying one for myself for mothers day. I am a very unenthusiastic cook. Basically it's a necessary evil. So I'm wondering whether you would recommend a slow cooker for someone who needs cooking to be very simple, not too many ingredients. And also, what you think of the breville ikon in particular? or is there another brand you would recommend? Thank you :-)

Liss on May 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@KirraleeKirralee - the Ikon would be the one I would buy if I were buying now - you wouldn't even need to transfer to a baking dish - the Ikon inner dish can be put into the oven!

Kirralee @ Escape With Kids on May 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

Kerry on June 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Made it, loved it and plan to make it again! Tasted great even though I forgot to add the salt before popping in the oven. So easy to do whilst looking after a bubba.

Unknown on July 20, 2014 at 8:48 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG this will be a perfect Sunday night dinner tonight! Thanks for the inspiration! xx Lucy from Bake Play Smile


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015