Wednesday, May 18

Budget buster: chicken drumstick and vege casserole



The great thing about this weather is having the oven on and having delicious smells sweeping through the house.  I have deliveries quite regularly to the house - call it an addiction to online shopping....  anyways when I open the door both of the regular delivery drivers ask:  'what's cooking today?'   and I tell them and they ask 'what's in that?' or 'I love that' or mostly 'that smells great'... I should really give them my business card now I think about it.

This is one such casserole which foreshadows something delicious with it's aroma whilst cooking.   I hope you like it!


Ingredients:
1.5 kg (or 8) chicken drumsticks
1 stalk celery, diced
1 brown onion, diced
1 carrot, sliced or diced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp dried mixed herbs - or fresh - I used some tarragon, thyme and parsley
1 litre chicken stock
1 tb dijon mustard
1 tb cornflour
5 button mushrooms, finely sliced


Method:
Preheat oven to 170 degrees c

In a large pot, add some oil and toss your drumsticks in until they seal/cook a little on each side, remove from the pan.

Add carrots, celery and onion and simmer until the onion softens (about 5 minutes)

In a jug mix the mustard and herbs into your stock

Pour the wine and a little stock into your veges and let them simmer for about 5 more minutes...

 Then add the rest of the stock and the and chicken legs back and pop into the oven (transfer to an oven proof dish if necessary) with the lid (or aluminium foil) on for 45 minutes.

 Then lastly, stir through the mushrooms and return to the oven for a further hour.

Serve on rice!



Print this post in friendly format

10 lovely comments:

TheThingsIdTellYou on May 18, 2011 at 8:07 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG. I'm hungry NOW!

Unknown on May 18, 2011 at 8:59 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! I'm off to do a slow cooker version of this... won't be as nice and brown but hopefully taste good still :) love your inspiration for my day!

My MummaMoments on May 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Uh huh! This one will be appearing on our dining table very soon! Sounds so yummy, and kid-friendly too x

Deb @ inner compass designs on May 18, 2011 at 2:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I recently found your blog and am loving it. With the recipes is there a printer friendly option that has the recipe without photos? I don't see anything at first glance.

Thanks

Liss on May 18, 2011 at 2:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Deb_in_ozWelcome Deb! Thank you! The printer friendly option includes the pic but takes out the right hand column there with the links etc so you get everything to fit on one page wide :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on May 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hehe so true about the oven being on! I love the added heat from the oven and then the reward of the food from it! :D

Mrs Mac on May 23, 2011 at 9:31 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmmmmmm I've been dying to do some casseroles this winter - will have to give this a go this weekend.

PaulsiePops on May 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am making this at the moment and it is smelling delicious. I didn't have any cornflour (and I wasn't sure what to do with it) - instead I added a tsp of plain flour & cooked it thorough vegies before adding the stock & wine. Hope it tastes as good as it smells!

Debbie de said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just wondering what kind of wine you put in it. I'm hoping to try this one during the week.

Jasmin said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow, I just found this blog through Google so I'm going to have a look around. I'm currently cooking this recipe it tastes lovely so far!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015