Thursday, May 12

How I 'made' my own high grade organic beef mince for only $9 a kilo


Are you watching Jamie Olivers Food Revolution?  School food is a little bit of a sore point for me - as is the over-processed world we live in so I find this insiders view into the US school system both interesting and disturbing.

Last week, Jamie explained to the LA community what process is taken out in the US when making minced beef.  Minced beef (or ground beef) is widely used in american cuisine (as is ours to a lesser extent) for burgers, chili, bolognaise etc.  I was totally unprepared for it.  I learned that the beef 'leftovers' usually reserved for dog food is actually put in a subterfuge to remove much of the fat then it is soaked in AMMONIA to remove/wash disease and improve colour, then minced - and I have to say looking at the end product you would NEVER KNOW the process.

I was totally gobsmacked.   Here's the excerpt from the show:



Anyway, I just want to say I'm not sure what the process guidelines are in Australia (though I'm trying to find out...) but it has made me a bit dubious of supermarket mince now... whether that's justified or not.. I don't know.  I do usually purchase my minced beef, lamb and pork from my butcher which has its own abbatoir and everything is done on site so I'm fairly confident there but as I'm due to go there on Saturday and needed some beef mince this week I was in a bit of a quandary.

I discussed this concern with hubby and he reminded me we had a mincer that we bought at a garage sale (I really do need to keep track of my kitchen appliances - ahem) and perhaps I could just mince my own.  Fair call.  So I picked up some organic blade steak on sale and it cost me $9 a kilo (half price) and I got to making my own mince!


Soooo easy.  I shall now be on the look out for sale organice beef, lamb and pork now to do the same - just to stock up when I can.

Now I'd love the kitchenaid mincer attachment - but I'm happy with this hand one now - it's not too labour intensive.  You can pick them up for about $50- 70.  The cool thing is you can use quite cheap cuts but still end up with 5 star or top grade/lean ground/minced meat.


So friends is this something you would consider doing or already do?
Print this post in friendly format

12 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I put chicken thighs in the food processor (as I don't have a mincer) and it works perfectly!!! And you end up with organic, free range chicken mince cheaper than you can buy normal chicken mince!!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

So glad you posted this, I have been mincing my own meat for the past year and a half and am a big believer of it. Not only is it fresh but you know it's only meat and you also can control the fat content. I had my grandma's old mincer but got the kitchen aid attachment for my birthday, it is so much better and quicker. I usually by the meat on sale, make a big batch and freeze it. Well done to Jamie for highlighting the issue.

Sally

Liss on May 12, 2011 at 7:44 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Anonymousoooh la la! Great tip!

Kirsty on May 12, 2011 at 9:15 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG I haven't seen any of Food Revolution this time around but imagine all that stuff in your mince! Yuck!

I usually buy my mince from the butcher but it would be much easier (and cheaper) to make your own. I've got a Kitchenaid Mixer so perhaps I need that attachment...

duchess_declutter on May 12, 2011 at 9:21 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks so much for this - I haven't seen that particular part of Jamie show. He is giving a few people a wake up call I think. This is a big reminder to me to get back into the simpler style of doing things. Convenience has a lot to answer for. Would be interested if you are able to find out about Aus. mince. cheers Wendy

Mr B on May 12, 2011 at 11:03 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh my god Im disgusted! Thanks for highlighting this to me, off to price mincers now.

Unknown on May 12, 2011 at 4:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think this is a great idea. I think I may have to look into getting me a mincer.

ourtinydancer on May 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Garage sale win! I think this is great! I'm not a good cook (but I'm slowly improving) and I didn't realise that mincing is so easy. I enjoy healthy food options and I'm a bit fussy when it comes to meat, so this is going on my to-do list for sure! Thanks for enlightening us all :-)

Sophie on May 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

The best part of living on a farm! Knowing exactly where your meat has come from....oh and being married to a butcher also helps! lol...

Cass on May 12, 2011 at 10:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I usually buy my mince, I think from the same place you go but I saw that Jamie episode last week and I was thinking of getting s minced to mince my own. It would probably be cheaper too even from the wholesale butcher

Unknown on May 14, 2011 at 9:20 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ok you have inspired me. My Kitchenaid came with a "bonus" mincer which I have never used. Will now pull it out - might try it on a blade roast that I chop up!

Bianca on May 18, 2011 at 3:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG Liss! I haven't managed to catch this season of Food Revolution, so thanks for reminding me to track it all down.

I mostly buy organic mince, but I still find this so confronting. Can you let us all know when you get to the bottom of the regulations in Australia?


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015