Tuesday, May 17

When responsibility gets in the way of a dream...


Pretty soon I'll be going back to work.  Well in about two months to be exact.  And it feels like like a watered down version of death row.  Which sounds terribly dramatic I realise as no-one is exactly is going to die per se but my one of my dreams is and that is to continue to write here full time and experience food in a full time way.

Not to say I'm going back to a workplace that is totally unbearable or that I work with dreadful people.  Neither are the case - I'm lucky that my profession (consulting and project management) is both interesting and rewarding.  I'm really lucky.

I see the contestants on Masterchef and although I have not even a speck of an inkling to participate, I understand why the thirty-somethings and forty-somethings are there.  I'm sure a good portion of them have dreams of being celebrity chefs with book deals but I'm sure there's an equal portion of the contestants where responsibility got in the way of their food dream.  I can totally relate to that latter portion.

So friends, don't panic - I fully intend to keep frills going because if I'm honest I'm going to need it more than ever as my 'happy place' and my 'time out'.  I'm only going to be working part-time - and commuting long hours which will give me time to write... (still can not decide between the iPad2 and the Galaxy.. anyways....)

I still have big dreams for frills (no it's not a book! I can't tell you how many people have asked me when my book is coming out??!) and I'm sure going to work isn't going to be an obstacle to making that happen, probably the opposite.   I can see a lot more slowcooker and fast food on friday posts coming and of course, there will always be Sunday baking project and the less than 30 minutes categories getting a work out.

Everyone gives up a dream for responsibility - it could be living overseas, it could be driving a mini-bus for your five kids instead of that much lusted after vespa you'd love to escape on.    Have you given up a dream because of responsibilities?


[image credit]
Print this post in friendly format

16 lovely comments:

Corrie on May 17, 2011 at 8:21 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss what a gorgeous post from you! My Hubby has definitely given up the holidays and fancy lifestyle to have our family but this was my dream to be full time mummy! I hope that one day with more time on my hands to be quilting for other people and running a business! I know you'll keep us drooling with your recipes!

Kate on May 17, 2011 at 8:22 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I was living in the US and planned on immigrating (emigrating? migrating?) there. I LOVED the US. But my brother was diagnosed with cancer and not knowing what was going to happen I packed up and came home. He recovered very quickly and I was left in limbo. I'd packed up my life thinking it would be a long road ahead and I wanted to be with my family, but it wasn't - he had recovered in two weeks and needed no further treatment. I plodded through life for a few months just waiting to see what would happen. Fortunately in that time, I got together with a guy I'd had a crush on for ages but then my brother's cancer came back. There was no recovery this time though. I could've gone back to the US after he died but I felt a responsibility to stay with my parents and also my dream had changed. I had an amazing boyfriend who I wasn't prepared to leave. We're still together eight years later and have two children. Sometimes we just have to go with the flow and keep our eyes open for opportunities, no matter how they're presented!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm a long time reader (though rare commenter) and think you're one of the hardest working bloggers I know. So I'm sure one day this blogging caper will turn into something more. Good luck. xx

PS: I'm going to whip up your Chow Mein this week in fact. Looks easy, healthy and yum.

woodroffe1@westnet.com.au on May 17, 2011 at 8:42 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My dreams have been food ones too, I'd love to have a cafe, but these days those dreams also include fashion and writing and photography and travelling, but living a simple life and bringing up healthy happy children together with my husband is really the overriding dream and I just adjust the rest accordingly I suppose.

However, I often stop and remind myself that I don't have to make all my dreams happen overnight (i can be kind of impatient lol).

Good luck with going back to work. I find it is a juggle but the professional contact is nice.

Tatum xx

Kylie on May 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, my dreams and responsibilities change with each posting. With DH doing the job that he does it is I that stays at home and cares for our children. I love it and enjoy every moment and each move comes with new challenges, friends to find and places to visit to keep me busy.

muppy on May 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am returning to work part time in a couple of months too (on maternity leave). I only started blogging last year and have really been loving this new world I've found not too mention enjoying all the amazing food I have been inspired to cook. I'm hoping that my blog wont be neglected with the transition. I am so keen to return to work though, absolutely love it. At the moment I'm sad to say I don't really know what my dreams are...

Maryandlil on May 17, 2011 at 4:10 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

my dream would be really to have one lol but If I could own a boutique selling homewares and childrens linen etc I would be one happy lady. Alas, this has not happened although raising three children, one with a disability has taken over and they inspire me every day to live big and that there is HOPE for the future. :) x

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Liss, I wish there was a way for you to fulfil your dream. But I do understand what you mean. I had to do a similar thing a few years back. I'm glad (in a selfish way) you're keeping frills going because I'd be quite lost without you, and er, my children probably wouldn't be as well fed xxx

A Farmer's Wife on May 17, 2011 at 7:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think you are a brilliant food writer.

I love the fact that your recipes are easy, accessible and kid friendly. So important in family life. I live on a farm in WA and also appreciate the fact that most of your recipes include everyday ingredients I can easily lay my hands on.

All the best for your return to work.

MariaL said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great post as usual Liss. I love your writing style, its like you are speaking to me and we are having a good old chat!

All the best for your return to work!

Seana Smith on May 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

So true, you are a very hard working blogger and I am sure you'll be in great demand when back at work. Hope that you get a few moments to yourself in amongst it all. I'm also so glad you will keep blogging, glad to get new recipes from you and there are loads on the blog already to try.

I had to take up great big mothering responsibilities when my eldest son was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder eleven years ago now. It changed everything; I had to become very focussed on motherhood in a way I would never have done if it hadn't happened. It was worth it. We never know what's round the corner and what silver linings are coming next.

Enjoy the next couple of months at home!

Cat on May 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Tis so hard to do the responsible adult thing. I don't think you are giving up on your dreams though as I have no doubt they will come true. You work hard at making things happen & I know you will continue to & believe that what will be will be bigger & better than you can imagine, truly I do! You have all of us to cheer you on too! Xxx

Stephanie Appleton on May 17, 2011 at 9:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I know just how you feel Liss! It is so hard to find balance in the things you want to do and the things you need to do. Best of luck!

Life In A Pink Fibro on May 17, 2011 at 11:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I''m sure you'll remain rocking and fantastic, despite the extra workload. The dream jobs versus the bill-paying jobs... it's a debate I have with myself every single day. The bills win - every single time.

Dawn Stan on May 18, 2011 at 8:21 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, a lovely post. I know how you feel. When my girls were younger I worked as a food technologist in research and development. Every day I got to invent new foods for companies and it was most certainly my dream job. I love cooking and developing new products worked perfectly together. Nearly ten years ago we decided for a tree change to a country acreage in the forest. A move I would never regret as I love where we live. We had no family nearby and no childcare options for my job nearly an hour away. I became a stay at home mum for a bit and then later worked in a nearby conferance centre in the kitchen. In between all of this I was diagnosed with breast cancer and now five years on I am looking at starting to study for a new dream job. This time working with children. Last year I tried to return to finishing a degree to get back into my old line of work but it just didn't feel right. You will follow your dream when it's right for you and your family. I feel at different stages of our lives we sometimes follow and at times put our dreams to one side. That what makes us great mothers.

Mumofmany on May 22, 2011 at 4:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss your post got me thinking as i'm on the end of mat leave countdown...10 weeks to go. I was a single mum with my first pumpkin (who is almost 6) and I was forced back to work within 6 months but only having one meant I could still 'dream' and parent at the same time, I took her overseas with me when I won a research grant and she travelled interstate with me when I got my dream job. This time around its different, I have 2 of my own and 2 step daughters...I just had a giant meltdown trying to finish an essay for my masters while all the kids ran around me and the baby was crying...for me i'm pondering that maybe that internal plea that I cant have it 'all' should really be that what I have at the moment is my 'all for right now' and that 'right now' has to be revisited every few months as the kids needs (and mine) change...tell me Im right, please?


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015