Wednesday, April 13

Quickie dinner - Tempura prawns



I'm not a big fan of deep frying anything really but tempura prawns is something I adore and whenever I get the opportunity I have some.  I love tempura zucchini flowers too.  My girls like tempura fish fillets and actually if you find some fish on special it's a quick meal to make for the kids - little tempura fish cocktails.

The batter is lovely and light and I like that there's no greasy aftertaste.  I love these plainly with just a bit of sea salt and mayonnaise but I also love to make sushi with them too.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1 egg, whisked
COLD soda water
Oil for frying (I used canola)
12 green prawns 

Method:
Peel your prawns - I've recently discovered the prawn peeler  note to all friends who hate peeling the endtrails from prawns - this is brilliant.  Use only raw prawns though - cooked prawns are a bit too tough for it.


Mix your batter in a bowl, simply by adding the flours and egg together and then adding soda water (how I love the soda stream at times like this) please make sure it's cold, because this makes the batter 'bubble'. Mix until is holds together but is runny - like thinnish paint.

Heat your oil and when it is sizzling hot (test it by flicking a bit of batter in there) dip your prawns in the batter ...

...and then straight into the oil for no longer than 15-20 seconds, take out with tongs and place on some kitchen paper.

Serve!

(Psst check out the competition on the new Howards Storage World online store:  win a chef for a night! and 5x $500 vouchers - I love that it's online! I can shop when I'm time poor or just check out stuff before I go instore - I have kitchengadgetitis.) 

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Diminishing Lucy on April 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hands over ears lalalallalaaa.

LOVE deep fried. LOVE prawns.

Cannot go there at the moment!

XX

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on April 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hehe I love eating deep fried food but I don't like cooking it. I think it's a fear of frying :P


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015