Friday, April 29

Make it yourself - Chinese five spice



I really dislike it when I'm making a recipe and it calls for a herb or spice and I don't have it.  Especially when it's a public holiday.  But that's not always a reason to despair because sometimes, you might just find you have the contents of this spice mix in your pantry already - you just didn't realise.

And today, I'm showing you a such a situation - I had no chinese five spice for the smoked salmon spring rolls (if you're having a wedding get-together tonight I will suggest those as a posh but easy option). So I got the help of Mr google to help me find a recipe and I found a few, but I kind of mucked about a bit and made it this way:

Ingredients
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 whole cloves
1 whole star anise

Method:
Place in a mortar and pestle, grind well.  Sieve through a tea strainer or sieve.  Store in an airtight container.



So friends, do you make up your own spice mixes?

Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015