Saturday, April 16

What I am loving about having an iPhone....


I'm usually one of the first to take up new technology but when it comes to Apple products I'm a bit of a Johnny come lately.   I only got my first iPod 3 years ago (and still use it almost daily) and around the same time I opted not to get a first generation iPhone because at the time, it didn't have any MS project capabilities which I needed professionally - so I got a windows phone... and that served me very well until it's sudden and complete demise about a month ago.

So now I have an iPhone I'm wondering how the heck I've lived without it! Well OK, that's an exaggeration but more accurately how I could live without one now..

The apps that I'm loving
For the OCD in me 
I've just downloaded Things.  Things costs money ($13) but for a compulsive list maker who has a tendency to take on too much it is worth it.

You tap in your tasks, due date, when you want a reminder and then you can categorise it with tags - so if I have a recipe which I'm doing for say KleenexMums - I tap in the recipe and then categorise it as KleenexMums and then tap in the ingredients I need to buy to make it and then tag it as shopping too.   Then I can bring up the tag shopping whilst I'm out and pick up those things.

It then groups your 'things' or to-do list on the landing page into 'due', 'next' etc.  You can also tap in future projects that are on your radar when you have a brainwave like I do on occasion and feel the need to jot it down.  Loving this app already!


For the foodie in me
I'm loving KitchenUnits - it's free and will translate ingredients from metric to imperial, mass to weight etc.  Great to have on hand.  Also has a kitchen timer.
Image credit



For my frugal/financial side
How good is it to have your banking on the iPhone? I love the ANZ app, it's so easy and where-ever I am I can find out how much is in the bank, make a quick transfer between accounts - love it. (I so wish that account was mine..!)

Image credit

Scan2List
Well this is a bit pre-emptive but this shopping app you can plug in your list, or the barcode and then where you shop and will tell you where in the shop to find it, so you don't miss an aisle (totally OCD!) but in the future they are looking to have pricing in there too and compare where your shopping list will cost less - I am SO looking forward to that! Hope it's not too far away
image credit

For Convenience
Facebook and Twitter apps are so convenient and although it's useful I love the maps app too - the GPS component (for those of us who don't own one) is really useful when plotting directions - UNLESS you are in a remote area without 3G access.  I wouldn't be throwing away those street directories yet..  The Flashlight app is fun too.  All of those are free.  I am using echofon for twitter and previously used the generic twitter app but if anyone any other social media app that would be great.
image credit

For fun
My most favourite app at the moment is Pocketbooth - it's like an old fashioned photobooth and I get the girls to pose in it - you can change the developing settings to be sepia, black and white etc.  At $1.19 I think it's great fun!

And I obviously love retro because Hipstamatic ($2.49) reminds me of the old Kodak Brownie camera pics.  (showing my age there....) you can choose film, lens, flash etc to get the look you want:


For the kids
Now I'm going all out and planning to buy my kids iPod Touch because I want my phone back!  But really if you weigh up the cost of a console game with the $ amount of the cartridges/games it's actually quite cost effective.  I love the fact that they can be educated whilst 'playing'.  It's great for car/bus trips and also as a reward for good behaviour (that's what we use it for now)

For fun - they love Barbie Fashionista - you can swap heads, headwear, jewelry, handbags, shoes and importantly hairstyles and outfits and then let the kids take numerous pics to your photoroll (oh I am deleting these often ;) ) it's free and literally a the easiest way to play Barbie without having to step on and finding those little Barbie shoes all over the house...

For education - we're loving Clockmaster because there is a huge push at our school to learn to tell time.  It's great reinforcement - it does analogue and digital on three competency levels.
image credit

For Kindy and first grade kids I have downloaded both version of TeachMe: Kindergarten and TeachMe: First Grade - both focus on sight word as well as mathematics - the first grade one requires writing also.  Each three questions they get right they are rewarded with 'coins' to 'buy' stickers (or stamps) to place on blank scenes - also learning the value of money- subtraction etc.  Love these. Both are $1.19



So tell me what are YOU loving iPhone app-wise.. is there something you can't live without?
Print this post in friendly format

10 lovely comments:

Kim on April 16, 2011 at 9:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have just got my hubby's old iPhone and I'm loving it! I also love Hipstamatic, it's really fun. I am now addicted to a couple of games, Angry Birds & Cut the Rope! We also just got Mr7 an iPod Touch (rather than a DS which he had been asking for for 2 yrs!) - I think it was the best decision we made. He has lots of free educational type games, a couple of fun games and he also loves taking photos and making little movies! It's so much more versatile than a DS :)

Denyse Whelan on April 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss, firstly I love this new look .. Cleaner lines & very smart & easy to follow..
My iPhone apps addiction is almost 2 years old.
I have downloaded, used, deleted, bought, loved, disliked more than 400 apps.
Since the inclusion of an iPad to my , ahem, stable, the HD apps are even more awesome.
My uses for iPhone & iPad are different.
iPhone is my office, calendar, place to play or write or tweet while waiting anywhere, open mail & listen to music, watch mini music clips.
My iPad is my "fun time" place .. As I'm using now- read & tweet & view pics & tweet.
IMHO I would highly recommend, for your kids buying a 1st gen iPad rather than an itouch.. Or if u can, one of each. iPad is big enough to share. The 1st gen ones ( mine is) are big versions of the touch with much more gb.
They are on special everywhere.. bigW etc but look at Australia's (u change icon in lower r h side of apple home from US to Aus) apple store & they also sell refurbished!
My iPad has apps for babies, pre schoolers, me & more!
Too many to list.. D x

Liss on April 16, 2011 at 10:31 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Denyse Whelan Thanks Denyse, that was exactly my desired outcome so THANK YOU! I might look into the iPad for the kids - it is a hefty excuse and I would prefer they had their own (to defer any fighting and keeping the overall time to a minimum when they can do it simultaneously)... given me something to think about there :)

greenfumb on April 16, 2011 at 1:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love mine too, I used to have an iPod but someone stole it out of my bag at work so I got iPhone instead. I use it so much it is much less likely to go missing.

I check the weather, get emails, use the maps, have exercise apps, ethical shopping apps and gardening apps.

Hubs has an iPad but I like my old MacBook Pro better. Don't like change, me.

Mammamusing on April 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My iPhone has two whole screens dedicated to kids apps for Amelie.

I'm also a big fan of hipstamatic!

Liss on April 16, 2011 at 3:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@greenfumb Deb you tease! I need the ethical shopping app name...like now! :P

Seana said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for this list Liss, very handy and I am bookmarking the schoolish apps for when twins go next year. Hang on, may as well get them now, bird in the hand etc

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on April 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love iphones. And here I am with a piece of disaster the HTC desire which gives me nothing but problems. Arrrgh!

Cass on April 16, 2011 at 7:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I don't have an iphone just and ipod touch (and I'm waiting for my ipad2 to arrive) but we bought my 8yo a touch for Christmas rather than a DS because she loves listening to music as well as playing the games and taking photos of course

greenfumb on April 16, 2011 at 11:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It's very cryptic Liss, it's called Shop Ethical! It's a bit depressing though, there isn't much that is ethical really and I'm not sure how up to date it is. They certainly don't think much of Nestle and neither do I! I have even managed to make my kids think twice about Milo.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015