Tuesday, April 26

The one where I admit my hubby was right: Oven baked smoked salmon spring rolls



Well as I was scouring the internet last week looking for a use for some extra smoked salmon I had (I bought a good amount for blinis I'd made but had leftovers) and I came across these - and I was a little dubious but as I called it out to hubby he was very enthusiastic:

'They sound yummy' he said
'You really think so? Fish in a spring roll?  In the oven?'  I wasn't so convinced.  Ironic given I'm the fish-lover in the family.

So hubby went out to the garden and picked some spring onions and coriander and I popped the oven and got chopping. 

Well my hubby was right (If he reads this I'm sure he'll print it for future reference....!) these are delicious and definitely would be fabulous for a canape or entree or just a treat.  Really delicious.

Ingredients: (makes 24)
250g smoked salmon, roughly chopped
2 tb mayonnaise
2 sprig coriander, finely chopped
3 spring onions, finely chopped
pinch of chinese five spice
8 sheets filo pastry
50gr butter, melted

Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

Mix together the salmon, mayonnaise, coriander, spring onons and five spice together, set aside

Melt butter in a small bowl or cup in the microwave

Wet a teatowel with cold water and wring out the excess, have on standby.

Layout your pastry on the bench and cut into thirds lengthwise.  Carefully wrap 2/3 of the pastry in the teatowel to keep the pastry moist whilst you make the spring rolls.

Brush each piece with the melted butter and place 2 tsp of the mixture towards the end of the pastry...

fold the pastry inwards to cover the ends..

Then roll up to make the roll shape.

Brush outer with butter... and place on some greaseproof paper-lined tin.

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden... serve with some soy sauce and eat when warm and crispy!


Do you admit when your other half is right?  Do they take delight in it and vice versa?


Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Thea on April 26, 2011 at 7:41 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These do look yummy!
I love the photos to go with the recipe, makes me feel like I could do this...I am NO Masterchef! :)

Liss on April 26, 2011 at 7:46 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@TheaThey ARE yummy in fact tomorrow hubby has vowed to buy more supplies to make another batch (perhaps rubbing it in?) Glad you like the photos - because that's the whole point of them - so they are more accessible and you can check what it's supposed to look like along the way - this helps me when I'm cooking things!

Christie @ Fig and Cherry on April 26, 2011 at 9:46 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love these Liss! Have just ordered some filo on my online shop so I can give them a go :)

If you have leftover smoked salmon again you should try my smoked salmon crepe 'sushi'. I linked my name to the recipe so you can check it out. Christie x

Being Me on April 26, 2011 at 3:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, these look incredible. I will HAVE to try them. So, one sheet of filo per roll, right? As for your q... it depends what he's right about as to whether I let him gloat and strut about it! After 18 years he knows what not to do too, which helps keep the peace ;-P

Liss on April 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Being Me Yes Sarah they are 1 sheet thick but 1/3 wide - so 1 sheet would make three :)

muppy on April 26, 2011 at 3:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look really delicious, it does sound kinda odd putting smoked salmon in a spring roll in the oven! but at the same time i'm not surprised its delicious. My hubby is a better cook then me so if he likes the sound of something i usually do it :P


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015