Monday, April 25

Creamy, Cheesey and totally easy (and not totally sinful) beef cannelloni



Well I'm well and truly getting into the comfort food but I'm also trying not to go overboard actually.  This looks mega-creamy and mega-cheesey but infact, not so bad.  I've used low fat ricotta, mozzarella and tasty cheese.    So eating it you can totally fool yourself that you've done something very bad, but you actually haven't.  I really do equate the quality of a cannelloni to the amount of cheese - specifically ricotta. I want it to melt in my mouth.  I want to feel comfort and joy.

My hubby who is not really a fan of cannelloni said this one was the best one I'd ever made and he had seconds - so that gave me some extra joy - I hope you get comfort and joy from this recipe too.

Ingredients
300g beef mince
400g low fat ricotta cheese
2 tb fresh grated parmesan cheese
Handful baby spinach, roughly chopped/torn
1 packet pasta sheets or 1 quantity of homemade pasta
400g tin diced tomatoes
6 large basil leaves or 2 average stalks of basil
2 stalks fresh oregano
1 clove garlic
1 small onion, finely diced
1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
1/4 cup light tasty cheese
1/2 cup light mozzarella cheese


Method:
In a bowl mix the mince, ricotta, parmesan and spinach with a bit of salt and pepper.


Layout pasta sheet (I actually cut 1/3 of mine off because you want it to just overlap a bit not a lot) and spread a sausage like line of mixture in the middle.  Roll and lay in a greased baking tray.

Continue until you run out of mixture.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

In a blender or food processor - blend tomatoes, basil and oregano until liquified, set aside.

In a saucepan, fry onion and garlic until translucent.

Add the puree and the evaporated milk, bring to a boil and then pour sauce over your cannelloni.

Sprinkle tasty, mozzarella and remaining parmesan, cover with foil and put in the oven for 30 minutes.

Remove foil and bake for a further 10 minutes.

It's sooo melty in the mouthy!


So friends, what's your comfort food?  Chocolate? Soup? Something creamy or cheesy?
Print this post in friendly format

13 lovely comments:

Josiejo said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Might just be tonights dinner. This is Jo-friendly ie easy-peasy, just the way cooking should be (for me :P)
Mmmmm
Thanks Liss

muppy on April 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

YUM! I really like cannelloni and do a great spinach and ricotta, i would like to try this beef version and this might also be our dinner sometime this week!

Diminishing Lucy on April 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ANdrew is not a huge pasta fan, but will go a cannelloni, if it's very cheesy...I might have to indulge...

Being Me on April 26, 2011 at 6:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Gosh this looks so good. I'm going to try it. We love canneloni in this house, I rarely make it but you have me inspired. Many many thanks!

Glow on April 26, 2011 at 6:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

There is drool on my keyboard now.

muppy on April 27, 2011 at 9:01 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I had this for dinner lastnight, delicious! thanks :)
btw I linked from my blog

JodieD said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made this last night, everybody loved it! Super easy, I had time to make some damper as well!

Jen @ giftboxology on May 4, 2011 at 5:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Love this, just put it in the oven, forgot to get spinach.
Super quick to prepare, I reckon I'll be making this regularly with lots of spinach. I put lots more cheese in mine so not very healthy!

Liss on May 4, 2011 at 6:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Jen @ giftboxology So funny you say that Jen because I put my last one in the oven and then realised I forgot to put the spinach in too! Ha!

Kirsty on May 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooh, this looks delicious. I am definitely going to have to give it a go.
350 calories per serve is really good, so I was wondering how many serves you get out of this and roughly the size of the serve?

Liss on May 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@KirstyHi Kirsty! Welcome! Using 90% lean beef mince and low fat cheeses I calculated 350 calories for 6 generous serves, but you could easily stretch that to 8.

Leimay on July 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OH YUM
another successful recipe for my family here, Mr 11 asked for seconds and Mr 3 who hasn't been eating much dinner of late ate his too!
Thanks again Liss

Leimay on July 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Leimay looks like i spoke too soon Mr 3 was just sitting at the table quietly instead of eating :(


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015