Friday, April 8

Fast food on a friday: Easy satay chicken with dipping sauce - mix once!



I know I like an easy recipe - no more than 10 ingredients, something that over time when you start to make it over and over you can just make by sight.  I think this recipe has the potential to be just that in my house.  At the end of the meal I had three little ladies practically BEGGING me for more.  The sauce is divine and what's even better about it, is it's one sauce, you make a big sauce, marinate in 2/3 of it, use the remaining third as a dipping sauce.  It really couldn't be easier unless you bought it in a jar (don't do that ;) )

I really hope you try this one, put it on the BBQ or a frypan - you'll love it.


Ingredients:
2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
2 tb soy sauce
2 tb brown sugar
2 tb lime juice
1 tsp grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 400g tin lite coconut cream
tops of 1 sprig of coriander, roughly chopped
1 kg chicken thighs
10 skewers


Method:
In a bowl mix the peanut butter, soy sauce, sugar, lime juice, ginger, garlic, coconut cream and coriander.

Pour 1/3 of the mixture into a container and put in the fridge.  Reserve the remaining 2/3 in the bowl or pour into a marinading tray.

Cut your chicken thighs into 4 or 5 strips, then put into the marinade.  Soak your skewers in some water.

After one hour of marinading/soaking thread the chicken onto the skewers in 'wriggly' pattern.  Set aside whilst you heat your grill/frypan on hot for about 5 minutes.  At this point if you're having rice, put it on.

Grill/fry your kebabs and turn until they are cooked fully.

Serve on rice and with salad - and of course your reserved dipping sauce!   I also make curly carrot with my vege twister (kids love it!)

Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on April 8, 2011 at 5:48 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

mmm this looks like a winner
Ps how do you make the curly carrots ?

Liss on April 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Trish!
I use a vege twister - I love it!
http://www.everten.com.au/product/Everten-Online-Veggie-Twister.html

Nic on April 11, 2011 at 9:56 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooops I got coconut milk instead of coconut cream! It will still be ok wont it?

Liss on April 11, 2011 at 9:59 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@nic-1103 Should be fine hon, I would probably reduce the volume of it you put in though by 1/3 so it doesn't become too runny if you know what I mean? Let me know how it turns out! :)

Nic on April 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks heaps for such a quick reply! Its not on the menu till tomorrow night but I will be sure to pop back and let you know how it goes!

Nic on April 14, 2011 at 10:26 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It was absolutely delicious! My little girls polished theirs off in record time! And hubby and I also thoroughly enjoyed ours. I was lazy though and used breast meat and didn't bother threading it on skewers and just cooked it in the fry pan (too cold to go outside to the BBQ!!!) Will be putting definitely filing this one away as a keeper!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015