Tuesday, April 12

Luxurious breakfast, fun lunch or easy dinner: Oven baked scotch eggs



What a friendly fellow huh?  This is Eloise's new favourite dinner with requests coming in every other night since we first had it.  I'm sure it's got something to do with fun face - but she does love hardboiled eggs so maybe there's something in that too.

You can use whatever mince you like - as a kid my Mum used to use sausage mince and lace it in white pepper... I actually love them like that but it's not really as healthy as this one.  If I was making this for breakfast that's what I'd do - it's a different take on sausages and eggs on toast right?

Ingredients:  (Makes 5)
5 hardboiled eggs
500g veal and pork mix
1 cup bread crumbs (I used 2 pieces of bread and processed them)
1 carrot, grated (or finely processed)
continental parsley, finely chopped or processed
Canola spray

Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c.  Peel your eggs.

Process your breadcrumbs, then your carrot and parsley

In a large bowl mix your mince, 1/4 of your breadcrumbs, egg and carrots and parsley.

Wrap the egg in the mince.  

Then roll in the remaining breadcrumbs.

Place in greased muffin tins and spray over the top with canola spray.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.

Serve with a smile!

Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Katie on April 12, 2011 at 7:20 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Liss! I forgot about these...my mum used to make these but the smiley face is such a great and cute idea. I just showed my two y.o your pics and asked her if we should make these and she nodded emphatically with a huge excited grin on her face. Thank you and I'll let you know how they go.

Diminishing Lucy on April 12, 2011 at 8:29 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love Scotch Eggs nearly as much as I love pork pie.

I am so trying the oven baked version - thank you Liss - and Andrew will thank you too - he adores Scotch Eggs and I haven't made them since I began this health kick of mine - I fear the deep fat frying, but this is an opportunity to revisit a favourite.

Seana on April 13, 2011 at 6:42 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Aha, yes, baking them opens them back up... I loved these when I was child and it's probably been (ahem) 30 years since I had one; scandalous.

Can I ask, Liss, which blender you use??

On another note, I'm hoping to get a KitchenAid or Kenwood soon, have looked at some but the bowls seem rather small. I often double the quantities of cakes/muffins so I can freeze some and am not sure the bowls I have seen would hold the quantities. All help/advice appreciated!

Liss on April 13, 2011 at 6:50 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Seana I'm using the Braun Multiquick 7 - it's cordless and I absolutely adore it -it gets a great workout here!
http://www.braun.com/global/household/food-preparation/multiquick-hand-blenders/multiquick-7-cordless.html

Liss on April 13, 2011 at 6:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh except mine is white and doesn't come with the ice-crusher -but that would be COOL!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015