Thursday, April 7

Easter Activity: How to dye eggs



I am getting right into Easter mode at the moment, I go crazy for it, don't ask me why.  I just do.  I think perhaps because Christmas is such a busy time for me with Laura and Olivia's birthday right near it - Easter symbolises a more relaxing time.  Also it's autumn and it's getting cooler and I'm feeling all nurturing.  

I picked up that cute little bunny this week and he's going to adorn my entrance hall table.  Olivia has named him Bernard the Easter bunny.. sweet.

Today I'm going to run through with you easy and fun activity of egg dyeing - it's not rocket science but depending on how crafty or creative you are it can become incrementally more fun.   Make them with the kids or by yourself for a bit of craft therapy - use as an Easter centrepiece or gift to friends and family.  

Have fun!

You'll need:
hardboiled eggs
rubber bands, white crayon or candle you can shave into a pencil tip
dye (I used 1/8th tsp of wilton gel dye but you can use Queen brand too)
white vinegar

Method:
You'll need to hardboil your eggs (I boil them for about 8 minutes straight from cold water) and then ensure they are fully cooled.  I put mine in the fridge overnight.

Make your patterns by stretching rubber bands over your eggs and drawing on them with the crayon/candle.

Aren't they cute?

In a tall glass mix (for each colour) 1/4 cup white vinegar, your colouring and 1 cup boiling water.  Mix well.

With a mini ladle or long spoon lower your eggs in one at a time - leave them 1-3 minutes depending how dark coloured you'd like your eggs.

Have some paper towel on standby, lift the eggs out, draining any colouring you may have on the spoon or ladle, then place on the paper towel to dry for about 5 minutes.  Wipe off a little before storing.

You can go absolutely crazy with colours/double dip or even hand paint bits if you like!

 
Have you made your plans for Easter yet?

Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015