Sunday, April 3

Sunday Baking Project: Little Pecan tarts



Hello friends!

I hope your weekend has been a pleasurable one.   I spent most of yesterday cooking and cleaning out my fridge... oh my I had a few unidentified fridge objects (UFO's) in there.  I feel so virtuous now.  I also got cooking some comfort food for my frills - slow cooker macaroni cheese using some delicious red american cheddar.  

I also made these.  Pecan pies and tarts always remind me of my aunt - I remember she's fond of these little bits of heaven. This recipe makes twelve mini pecan tarts, or 1 large one (but I'd halve the pastry portion).

I'm off to a picnic today so I'm sure there won't be any left in our basket when we return.  The frills were all begging me for one when they cooking - they are hanging out - of course I sneaked a test, you know, to check they were alright and everything - I've got to say as much as they are nice cold, out of the oven they are something else!


Recipe adapted from Stahman Farms
Ingredients
Pastry
1 1/2 cups plain flour
180 gr cold butter, diced
3 tsp caster sugar
1 egg yolk
cold water


Filling:
2 cups shelled pecans
3/4 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup cream


Method:
Firstly we make our pastry by either rubbing in butter with your fingertips into the flour and then mixing in the egg yolk, sugar and enough water to make it a smooth dough.
Alternatively you could mix all the ingredients in a food processor and process, adding a little bit of water at a time until it comes together.

Wrap dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes - during this time preheat your oven to 200 degrees c.

Grease your tart tin/s and roll out your dough on a floured surface until about 3mm thick.  If using mini tart tins it's easier to cut out with a cutter/bowl around the approximate size of your tins.

Press into the edges and take off any excess from the sides..

Cut some squares of baking paper and place inside the tart and cover with rice or dried beans (or pastry weights if you have them don't worry if you don't)  Place on a baking tray, and bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown.

Take out of the oven , remove the baking paper and the beans an return to the oven for another 8 minutes - this will make the base crispy and avoid the filling absorbing into the pastry.

Meanwhile, whisk the maple syrup, brown sugar, egg and cream together.

When you take the casings out of the oven, turn down the oven to 160 degrees c and add your pecans to the casings.

Then pour the filling in over the top, until just full and bake for another 40 minutes or until set.

Allow to cool completely before turning them out - then you can store them in an airtight container for a couple of days - you could even freeze them if you were making ahead - I would just reheat before serving if that's the case... 

So are you drooling?


Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Brooke - Little Miss Moi on April 3, 2011 at 1:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

They look simply divine! Perfect picnic food - I hope you had a nice lunch.

Cate on April 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

There must be something in the air - I did the fridge clean out this week too!!! Unidentified Frozen Objects were my speciality!!!!

Super Sarah on April 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmmm, these look delicious! I have a question that has been bothering me for AGES! If I use dried beans or rice for pastry weights, can I use them another time as beans or rice? Does that make sense? Can I take a cupful of rice from my rice container, bake it and then just put it back into my rice container? I ask because if I have to have a seperate container for rice that I use as pastry weights, I might as well treat myself to some proper ceramic ones!

Liss on April 3, 2011 at 5:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Super Sarah Yes sarah! Use them again and again, but don't cook to eat ;) I used to use dried kidney beans before I got my weights and kept them in a ziplock bag with my tins :) The ceramic ones are anywhere from $8-13 depending on the brand and where you buy them.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on April 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

MMM love love love Pecan tarts.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on April 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ps What is your comment system Liss ?

Liss on April 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Trish.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• Just blogger hon xx


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015